Friday, November 16, 2007

Mama Said There’d be Days Like This

The morning went pretty well. Up, showered, fed, and out the door by 8:30. At day care by 8:45. Waving bye-bye at 8:52. In my car, on my way to work at 8:53. I arrived at work at exactly 9:00 am. Then I stepped across some invisible line into the “Friday from Hell.”

9:20 - Day care calls. Son does not have pacifier at school. Naptime will be hell (my word, not theirs). I think - must have dropped it in the car on the way to school. I will be right there.

9:31 - Found pacifier under passenger seat of car. Drive to day care, wondering why it is we only have one day care pacifier but 25 pacifiers at home.

9:43 - Leave day care, scratching my neck. Wonder why my neck itches. Scratch, scratch.

9:50 - Arrive in parking lot at work. Pull neck of sweater down to investigate itchiness. Realize my sweater is on backwards.

9:51 - Decide to switch sweater in car. As I am swinging back to front, notice homeless man watching me from the sidewalk. Nice.

9:58 - Back at desk. Working.

10:36 - Doctor’s office calls. They don’t have new insurance card for son’s surgery on Monday. Surgery will be canceled unless I fax it immediately.

10:38 - Dig through purse for insurance card. Damn.

10:41 - Dig through desk for insurance card. Damn. Decide I will have to go home for lunch and look for insurance card.

11:52 - Leave work for home. In the next hour I must: (1) find insurance card; (2) change a load of laundry; (3) finish making cheese straws for neighborhood party tonight; (4) eat lunch; and (5) unload dishwasher.

11:59 - Arrive at home, mad dash for possible locations of insurance card. Five steps in the door, slip in wet spot on floor. Manage to catch myself on side of couch, but lose shoe and step in wet spot. Look down. Yell dog’s name. Dog cowers under dining room table, the obvious guilty party.

12:01 - Having removed nylons, search for floor cleaner while yelling at dog. Clean floor.

12:07 - Wash hands and feet in bathtub. Wipe down shoes. Put on new nylons. Turn on oven.

12:09 - Remove cheese straw dough from fridge. Dough is rock hard. Remember only supposed to chill for 30 minutes, not overnight. Damn.

12:10 - Commence rolling out rock hard cheese straw dough. Work up sweat. Take off sweater and finish rolling dough in bra only.

12:25 - All dough rolled out, start twisting dough, place on cookie sheets. Put in oven. Set timer.

12:32 - Re-read party invitation. Realize I have not RSVPed yet. Call neighbor, apologize, and RSVP. Promise outstanding cheese straws.

12:34 - Remember I was supposed to be looking for insurance card. Race around looking for card.

12:39 - Find card. Remove cheese straws from oven. Drop one as I am transferring to cooling rack. Damn dog catches it before it hits the ground, swallows it whole. Well, at least she is good for something.

12:42 - Change load of laundry.

12:47 - Empty dishwasher.

12:55 - Put sweater back on, put shoes back on. Leave house.

12:56 - Almost have accident with neighbor as I am pulling out of driveway. Smile and wave.

1:08 - Arrive at parking lot. Neck itches again. Look down. Yep . . . my sweater is on backwards. AGAIN.

Mama said, mama said.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had that day before but usually the shirt stays on backwards until someone has the guts to mention something to me.

Ramble On said...

As soon as I stop laughing I will think of a comment!

Anonymous said...

Well I certainly hope the party went better than the rest of your day. You crack me up!

Anonymous said...

Oh, days like that drive me crazy!

But at least they make good blog fodder....

Mama T said...

LOL...I have days like that all the time!

Question though???
Does it make for a bad day, or really comical banter for the blog?
You really do have to weigh it...

Hmmmm????

I hope you have an awesome weekend after that kind of Friday!

;o)

Kevin Lowe said...

Funny, funny. I certainly can relate. I too have a dog that is helpful like that. I've never done the backward shirt move, but one time I showed up in court with two different colored socks. And, another time had to conduct a sentencing hearing with two different shoes. One brown, one black. Now, how that happened . . . what the heck is a "cheese straw," anyway?

Anonymous said...

I hope your blinds were closed when you were rolling the dough half naked.

Unknown said...

I am so glad I found you! I was actually searching online to figure out how to "mark" my 2 month old daughter's pacifiers before we start daycare in a couple of weeks, without looking like they are tackily MARKED. LOL. When I read this post, I had to laugh, because this is what my life was like BEFORE I had the baby and now I am afraid that when I go back to work I might forget to do something important... like say, get dressed? But certainly if I show up naked, someone in daycare setting will warn me before I leave there for work? LOL. And can you believe I am 45 minutes north of Peoria? Ha!