Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Good Laugh Always Helps

I’ve been having a rough week of sorts, but I can always count on my brother and sister-in-law’s parenting stories to lift my spirits a little bit. The thing is, I don’t think they intend these stories to be uplifting or humorous . . . but they so are.

My sister-in-law had their second baby in early February - another boy. Not surprisingly, their first son has had a difficult time adjusting to the new baby. One of the behaviors he is exhibiting is not going to bed easily and not staying in his new "big boy bed."

So, the other night my brother and I were talking on the phone about the trials and tribulations of our two and a half year olds and comparing notes. My brother said things have gotten better with my older nephew’s behavior, particularly with staying in bed. However, they have an unusual method of getting him to stay in his bed:

Me: So, things are getting better with bedtime?

My brother: Yeah . . . tonight he only got out of bed once, but that was because the big rice cooker scared him.

Me: Umm . . . the big rice cooker scared him? Were you cooking rice near his room?

My brother: Oh no, he gets to choose a kitchen appliance to take to bed with him every night and tonight he picked the big rice cooker. But then, after he was in there for awhile with it, he came out and asked to swap it with the little rice cooker.

Me: Because the little rice cooker is less scary?

My brother: I guess so . . . and it takes up less room in his bed.

Me: Well . . . whatever gets him to sleep at night, I guess.

After we hung up the phone, I sat there wondering how far out of control a parent has to get when he or she allows a child to take a kitchen appliance to bed with him. I mean, I have had some desperate times as a parent, but . . . taking kitchen appliances to bed? I just can’t picture the scenario occurring in my house.

Well, at least it wasn’t a kitchen appliance with blades.

Clearly, my nephew is still in control of this house.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

A rice cooker? That's an interesting "security blanket..."

I guess I shouldn't judge, my son had a cardboard box he carried everywhere that contained his "rat friends," they were imaginary, but I'm sure when we went to restaurants and my son was peering in his box and talking to a group of rats, people probably thought we were nuts.

Anonymous said...

That's sort of odd, but VERY funny.

Mama T said...

Bubba has never had a lovey...I guess thats kinda good, except...he still (at 6) crawls into bed with me about one night a week, and he has a thing with my hair, which drives me nuts...he has to grasp it and kinda rub it with his hand. he has done this since he was a wee baby, and still does when he is sleepy. So, all in all not as weird as the rice cooker, but still bizarre. Kids are SO weird. LOL

Hugs~!

Billy Dennis said...

I've never taken a kitchen appliance to bed.

But in my younger days, I did bed quite a few dishes.

Chef Kevin said...

I'd hide the 350 watt Kitchen Aid mixer...

snicketmom said...

I remember the sleep deprivation that can come with a 2 year old who won't sleep. If it means everyone gets to sleep, kitchen appliances, large or small, sound very reasonable to me.

Jonathan Ahl said...

I think we are missing the big picture here.

Who the hell needs TWO rice cookers? I mean, how much rice do these people eat?!?!?

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where I'm eating so much rice, and at differing quantities day to day that I would need a large and a small rice cooker. I gotta tell ya, I got nothin'.