Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Congratulations!

I am eligible to take part in Illinois's Safe Driver Sticker Renewal Program. Or so says the notice I got from the Secretary of State's Office. I guess this means that instead of going to the driver's license place, I get to simply pay online and get a sticker to put on my old license.

But wait.

There are several restrictions and I am not eligible if any of several statements pertain to me. For example, I am not eligible if my driver's license has been revoked, or being held by court in lieu of bail, or if I have any condition that might cause a temporary loss of consciousness. In addition, you do not qualify if:

"Your legal name or gender has changed or you have lost your driver's license."

Perhaps it's just me, but the change of legal name or losing a license shouldn't be grouped in the same category as a gender change. That's kinda a biggie . . . so much so that it might just need it's own category.

3 comments:

Themis said...

Personally, I always thought the 'qualification' that you haven't lost your driving privileges is the most laughable part for not being able to renew online. Should these people even be getting a notification for renewal?

LoisW said...

The whole "who's driving and who isn't driving" thing is kinda scary. My father is 86 and probably should not be driving around the block, but does. A friend I went to high school, is an attorney out by Washington DC, has never even bothered to get a driver's license. Bring back better public transportation!!

Josh said...

This isn't your "coming out" post about a gender change, is it?