Tuesday, June 23, 2009

TWD - Roasted Pineapple Dacquoise

Andrea in the Kitchen picked this week's TWD recipe and it was a doozey!

Oh, the hours! I am unlikely to make this recipe again based simply on the fact that it took more than 24 hours to complete. Of course, part of that time was driving around to four different stores on Sunday morning to find unsweetened coconut, which I never found. I decided that because most dacquoises are made with nuts, I would simply just use all almonds and no coconut in the meringue part.

Other than being so time-consuming and requiring three hours of the oven running on a day with 90% humidity and 90 degrees, this was a fun recipe. I actually reversed the order in which I made the parts, making the pineapple first, then the ganache, and lastly the meringue.

The Pineapple.

Here in Illinois, we must have much smaller pineapples, because there was no way the pineapple I got was going to make three layers of 24 sections of pineapple. This looks like a lot of pineapple, but really it wasn’t enough:
It was really fun to broil the pineapple, but my oven is so old that the broiler is on the bottom and really uneven when cooking. So, I found myself laying on the floor watching the back pieces so they wouldn’t burn:In the end, it was a win-win situation since I didn’t burn the pineapple and I found a few child/dog/cat toys under the oven.

The Ganache.

This was the simplest part of the whole thing. It also just shows that the simplest things are often the best tasting - such as 14 ounces of white chocolate whisked with three cups of heavy cream. You just can’t screw that up.
I took a picture of the chocolate squares individually divided in the bowl because I thought it looked cool. Then I re-read the recipe and took it all out to chop it . . . finely.

The cream went into the chocolate and the whole thing went into the refrigerator. Really, the only reason it didn’t go straight down my throat was because I had to get in the shower so we could go to an afternoon baseball game.

Intermission: The Baseball Game.

We had tickets to the 2 pm Peoria Chiefs’ game, which normally would be great. However, as I mentioned above, it was like a swamp outside. Right before we arrived at the ballpark, it rained and not in a get-rid-of-the-humidity way. I had the forethought to bring a rag to wipe off our seats.

What I did not have the forethought to bring was sunscreen or an umbrella - both of which were needed during the game. So, let’s review: it was 90 degrees, it was raining off and on, there was no breeze, everything was wet first from rain, then from sweat. It was super sunny and I was beginning to fry like a popper. After the end of the fourth inning, I gave up and we watched the rest of the game from the concourse which is in the shade. Even so, I got a pretty nice sunburn.

The Meringue.

I have to admit - the meringue almost didn’t happen. I was burnt and exhausted. But I also had the house to myself after dinner, which is perfect for challenging baking situations that require the oven to be on for three hours and copious amounts of swearing.

The first step was drawing the 12 x 6 patterns on parchment paper. Apparently, I got rid of my 12 inch ruler when I left 8th grade, so I struggled to find something to use as a pattern. And this is what I decided on:
Yes . . . it’s a license plate. It is the license plate from my first car. And yes . . . it has been washed. And why was this more easily accessible than say . . . a tape measure in my house? Well, that’s just how I roll. And I forgot I had a tape measure.

Anyway, here are my stiff peaks:
Huh-huh. Someone is going to make an off color comment about that, I just know it.

And here are the meringues pre-cooked:
The amount of meringue batter (is that the right word?) seemed excessive, but that’s better than sparse, I guess. They baked just fine, although they were only in the oven for about two and a half hours instead of three. I left them in the oven overnight to cool (because the two and a half hour mark was 11 pm and I was tiiiiired.) I was worried they would get too much humidity in the house overnight, even with the air conditioning, but they were fine.

The Final Product:

The biggest trick was finding a rectangular shaped serving/storage dish on Monday morning before work. I finally found one that was about two inches too narrow, but I used it anyway. Only now as I am writing this has it occurred to me that one could very well make this into circular meringues, which would be much easier to present.

Before work I whipped the ganache and toasted the coconut. (Does everything sound kinky today or is it me?) The meringues came off the paper perfectly (although next time, perhaps I won’t use a pencil and will put the pattern with the drawn part down on the baking sheet. Eh . . . what’s a little lead in your dessert? It balances out all of that lead paint I licked off the windowsills when I was a kid.)

Because my meringues were a little too big for the plate, I had to sprinkle the coconut on the top rather than on the sides:
The meringues were also darker than pictured, mostly because I used all almonds instead of coconut, I'm assuming.
The Review.

Ack!
Too sweet!! I have quite a sweet tooth and this dessert was JUST TOO SWEET. And there is so much of it! My plan when starting this TWD thing was that either my boyfriend or I would take the leftovers to our respective offices so we don't end up each weighing 400 pounds. You know a dessert really didn't work when neither one of us really wanted to take the leftovers to work and I didn't want to eat it for breakfast. Just looking at it in the fridge made my teeth hurt.

If I ever make this again (the flavors were quite good - just need some tweaking with the finished product), I would make small rounds of meringue so I could make multiple individual dacquoises. They would be a very impressive end to a summer dinner party. But small servings are the key.

7 comments:

LoisW said...

You're bringing this to the 3rd of July party, right? ; )

nick said...

I laughed when I pictured this:

"found myself laying on the floor watching the back pieces so they wouldn’t burn:"

The broiler in my parents oven is the same way. I LOATHE baking there.

The meringue w/the coconut was awesome, vultures at my office demolished it in cookie form when my cake didn't come together (READ: "copious amounts of swearing. " in common).

Your stiff peaks are super hot. I also love the way that you "whipped the ganache and toasted the coconut" before work, I never have time for such early morning musings.

Was that off color enough? :-P

snicketmom said...

I love your idea for circles for this, especially individual circles. But I guess license plate shaped worked well too.

I was with you on not wanting to share my leftovers with anyone. It is just sitting in my fridge, but it is also hard to just toss something you have spent so many hours on.

KPOW and I usually call each other about twenty times per recipe if something comes up like not being able to find and ingredient. If you would like to be included in that fun part of TWD, we should exchange numbers!

Jennifer said...

Johanna,
I used sweetened coconut and then lessened the amount of sugar, so my meringue was probably less sweet than yours. I also didn't put in the white chocolate and thought the dacquoise was just perfect.
I think individual servings would be adorable. Especially since I do think this was hard to serve. Whenever I would cut pieces I would end up with the meringue cracking and essentially serving big, unattractive blobs.
(Which are the opposite of sexy!)

Cory said...

Pencils haven't had lead in them for at least 100 years. It's graphite and it's perfectly safe. You could actually eat a pencil if you wanted to.

Ms. PH said...

Well, Mr. Know-It-All, you did in fact eat pencil when you ate this dessert.

And since you are so smart, you probably know pencils never contained lead. It was a misnomer because people thought graphite was lead.

snicketmom said...

I was thinking that too about the pencils, Cory, but didn't want to sound know-it-allish. I'm glad I didn't since I didn't know they never had lead. But in a bit of know-it-allish, I can say the recipe said to turn the parchment paper over. And tattletalish- Ms. PH, Jennifer used your real name!