Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Mamma Mia Contains a Few of My Favorite Things

Specifically . . . the music of ABBA, Colin Firth, and Pierce Brosnan. Ahhhhhhhhhh . . . heaven!

As some of you may know (and I found out last night), the popular musical based on ABBA music is coming to the big screen. I was not lucky enough to see the stage version but I will be there for opening night for the movie version. Okay, maybe not opening night but within the following week or so (depending on which child is sick and/or particularly needy at the time and can't be left with a babysitter.)

Just watching the preview made me want to get up and start dancing and giggle with delight. First, the music. I am not ashamed to admit it - I love ABBA. Love, love, love, love ABBA. I get this from my mother, who also loves, loves, loves, loves ABBA. (As an aside, I just wish to point out that I got my love of the Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel from my dad, so it balances out.) Fun music to sing along to, to dance in your underwear to while singing into your hairbrush, to drive to, to sing to your children to embarrass them . . . the fun-ness never ends with ABBA.

Oh, and the lyrics! Only people not completely skilled in the English language who were raised in the cold northern part of Europe could come up with these dreamsicle lyrics:

Waterloo - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Waterloo - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Waterloo - Finally facing my Waterloo

Or these:

Mamma mia, here I go again
My my, how can I resist you?
Mamma mia, does it show again?
My my, just how much I've missed you
Yes, I've been brokenhearted
Blue since the day we parted
Why, why did I ever let you go?
Mamma mia, now I really know,
My my, I could never let you go.

Anyway, the other reason I love ABBA is the Swedish accents. My maternal grandparents both spoke with the Swedish accent and every time I listen to ABBA, I can hear them again . . . particularly my grandmother, who loved "Dancing Queen."

Also . . . Colin Firth and Pierce Brosnan. Yum. They just get better and better with age.

Speaking of yum, the movie I saw last night was "Made of Honor" with Patrick Dempsey. I'm sure there were other humans in the movie, but I really didn't care. It was cute and totally predictable in every way, but Patrick Dempsey was in nearly every frame (and quite often shirtless, although he looks damn good in a suit), so it was well worth the price of admission.

He had me at "Can't Buy Me Love" and I've been in love ever since . . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mamma Mia is coming to the Civic Center this fall. I have seen the on-stage production and really liked it.

Anonymous said...

I loved Mamma Mia! It was so entertaining. My dad is not the theater type, but we convinced him to see it with us anyway. He laughed all the way through it, which made us laugh even more.
No matter if you like ABBA or not, it's virtually impossible not to sing along to their songs isn't it?

Katie said...

I LOVE 'Can't Buy Me Love'. It was on cable a couple weeks ago and I made Shelby watch it. She didn't appreciate it as much as we do...but she's only 9...

If you need a buddy to see Mamma Mia, let me know. I would love to see it and my only hope at this point is DVD!

That mental image of you singing into a brush is hysterical!