Thursday, May 15, 2008

Your Bra Can Save the Planet

Well, not quite yet, but a Japanese company has invented a "solar-powered bra that can generate enough electric energy to charge a mobile phone or an iPod." Well, thank god. I was wondering when someone was going to figure out a way for my bras to be more proactive in saving the planet.

The bra is not without its problems however. The solar panels are worn around the stomach, which makes it more of a corset than a bra, really, and not very comfortable or breathable. It is hospital-gown-green, but that's not really a problem, is it? I mean, I've always felt there aren't enough green bras in the world. Oh, and it won't work if you wear clothes over it. So, it looks like we are going to bring back the whole Madonna "under-wear-as-outer-wear" look. Also problematic - it can't be washed or worn on a rainy day. Aside from those minor details . . . I say FABULOUS.

Most importantly, "it does send the message of how lingerie could possibly save the planet." Wow! And here I was, you know, trying to save the planet without using my underwear by doing things like recycling, turning my thermostat down, and buying Energy Star appliances. Silly me.

I don't know . . . if you are going to invent solar powered clothing to recharge cell phones and iPods, wouldn't you start with outer clothing like coats and jackets? Or hats? Why bras?

It does give added meaning to the phrase, "Charge me up, baby!"

1 comment:

Peoria Peepers said...

I saw this online. It got a chuckle out of me, as did the chopsticks bra a while back. Some people have way too much time on their hands, or maybe they're just heavily focused on mammary couture, to the extreme.