Monday, December 8, 2008

In Which My Child Fails to Understand the Point of Christmas

My daughter is three years old. I am really looking forward to this Christmas because it is the first time she will really get into the magic of the holiday. But, so far . . . she is missing the point of a kid's Christmas. The gifts.

That's right . . . we're a shallow bunch in the PH world. We don't think about Jesus on Christmas and we don't believe in Santa Claus. But, just because we don't believe in mythology doesn't mean that Christmas isn't magical for us. We have many family holiday traditions that are much more meaningful to us than Jesus and Santa Claus. Anyway, all of that is for another post.

I have been asking my daughter for the last few weeks what she wants for Christmas. I don't really feel like adding more toy flotsam and jetsam to my house. We already have tons of toys the kids ignore. I'm trying to make her Christmas gifts really special - things she really wants that I wouldn't buy her ordinarily.

What's her answer when I ask her what she wants for Christmas?

New pink shoes.

New pink shoes. Nevermind the fact that the child has seven pairs of shoes right now. Nevermind the fact that four of these pairs of shoes are either entirely pink or have some pink somewhere on them. New pink shoes.

Ugh. And when I try suggesting items she might like . . . new books, puzzles, clothes, babydolls, or craft items, she says, "No! I want new pink shoes." Then I try upping the anty. How about a kitchen? Or a dollhouse? Or a new trike? "No! I want new pink shoes."

I really don't know what I expected. After all, her favorite toys are a deck of playing cards, a tape measure, a pen and paper, and her babydoll. I should be happy I have a child who only wants new shoes for Christmas because I have a feeling that she's gonna figure out this Christmas thing before next year. And then I'll be sorry.

7 comments:

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

I am soo laughing right now at your kid's choice of toys. My daughter carried a tape measure around with her for probably 2 years! LOL

Oh and you can never have too many pairs of pink shoes!!!

Ms. PH said...

That's really funny! I had no idea the tape measure was such an important toy.

Did she use it to tell time? Whenever I ask my daughter what the tape measure is telling her, she says, "It is 11:30 o'clock!"

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

No I would ask her how her tape measure was and she would use it to "measure" how good she was at the particular point in time. So when someone would ask he what she was carrying around that tape measure for she would pull the tape out and say "I am being pretty good right now" lol

Katie said...

After the fun she had helping clean out the bath tub, maybe cleaning supplies? You can get her pink rubber gloves to go with her shoes! :)

Cameron said...

Kids.

They're fun.

I need a drink.

Anonymous said...

That is hysterical and yes, you will be in trouble next year! Recently we had to go to O'Reilly Auto Parts for a new car battery. My NINE year old daughter was so mesmerized by this long telescoping metal thingy that apparantly mechanics use to retrieve metal objects that are dropped under the hood during the repair process. It is magnetic at the end. I had to pull her away from the store when it was time to leave. Needless to say it will be in her stocking this year!

Julie0917

Laura McGowan said...

Reminds me of Mary Poppins pulling the ruler out of her bag and measuring herself as "practically perfect!"