Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I'm Not, But I Kinda Wish I Was

I got the following message via Facebook today:

"Hi, I am looking for a girl I met in the year 1976 in the Faroe Islands, she competeted in swimming with Ægir, a swimming club in Klaksvik, just wondering what her life came to be, so if you are that girl I would like to hear from you."

Wow. I am so not that girl, but I kind of wish I was. Not because I want to reconnect with this guy but because I kind of want to be the type of girl who traveled to the Faroe Islands and competed in swimming clubs in the 1970s. That girl sounds so much cooler than the girl I actually was in 1976.

Of course, it would probably help if I knew where the Faroe Islands are without having to look it up on Wikipedia. And after looking it up, it's decidedly not cool that I didn't know the Faroe Islands are an autonomous province of Denmark. My Danish relatives would find it so not cool that I didn't know that. It also probably isn't cool that I didn't know Klaksvik is the second largest town in the Faroe Islands either.

Sigh . . . back to my regular boring life as an American child of the 70s. Why is it that Europeans always sound so much cooler than Americans?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was it someone who saw you swimming in our pool? Just a thought...ok, nevermind :)

Emerge Peoria said...

PH, you CAN be that girl and he doesn't have to know the difference.

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

Europeans dont shave their armpits and eat smelly cheese.

Jennifer said...

I love smelly cheese and I hate shaving, so maybe I secretly wanna be European too?