Wednesday, March 18, 2009

There But For the Grace of God Go I

I was just reminded of this story not too long ago while talking to my college roommate. I had completely forgotten it happened. Although it happened almost 19 years ago, it has surprising relevance to something that has happened quite recently.

About a month after I started college in the fall of 1990, my English professor called me into his office. He made some small talk about the paper I had just turned in and then said, "So . . . I hear you are going to missing some school in the next few months." I was stunned for a few seconds while a million things ran through my head - most significantly: have I already been kicked out of college? I mean, I haven’t really done anything yet! At least not anything really bad!

"Not that I know of. Why?"

"Well, I got a call from the Dean of Students . . . I think he called all of your professors . . . and he said you were going to be missing school because of a family situation."

"What family situation?"

The professor looked really embarrassed at that moment. I think the look on his face was something like - dear god . . . she doesn’t know - but he said, "Because your dad is sick. The Dean said you might need to take some time off from school because your dad is sick."

I laughed, mostly out of relief that I wasn’t being expelled, and said, "No. I’m sure if my dad was sick, my parents would have told me. They don’t keep things like that from me." The professor looked concerned, but let me leave. As I was walking back to my dorm room, I got to thinking about it. What if my parents really hadn’t told me my dad was sick?

No. They wouldn’t do that. They just wouldn’t. They are very up-front type of people who believe in talking everything out, no matter how painful. And my dad hadn’t seemed sick at all and I had just been there a month ago. My parents don’t hide things from me.

But . . . my paranoid side started taking over. What if they didn’t want me to leave school and decided not to tell me? I mean . . . they did sell their house while I was away at summer camp before my senior year of high school without telling me first. But they told me about it the next time they talked to me . . . so.

As soon as I got back to my dorm room (no cell phone, people, it was 1990), I called my dad’s office. "He’s with a patient, honey," said his secretary. "Can I leave him a message or do you need me to interrupt him?" "No, that’s OK," I replied. We were never allowed to interrupt our parents when they were with patients. Emergency situations, yes, but I had never had an emergency serious enough to interrupt them. Apparently, his dying was not an emergency situation.

I called my mom at her office. She was available. Without any preface, I said, "Is Papa sick? Is he sick and you didn’t tell me?" "No. Of course not," she replied. I explained the whole situation to her, what my professor had said. After hanging up with me, she called my father and they called the Dean. They called me back and assured me everything was fine. Apparently, the Dean had mixed me up with another student. The Dean called all of my professors and straightened the situation out.

However, the Dean forgot to tell my RAs and dorm manager.

A few days later, I was telling this story to a few friends in my dorm corridor and we were laughing about how weird it was and scary and bad that the Dean had gotten me confused with someone else. Our two RAs walked by and caught a piece of the conversation. They stopped dead in their tracks when they heard me say, "Yeah . . . my dad’s not dying."

"What? Your dad’s not dying??"

I explained the story to them and, to my surprise, they got pissed. Apparently, the school had made both of my RAs go through grief training because my dad was dying. They had been in training for an entire weekend and had missed some big party or something. They were having daily meetings with the dorm manager because they thought I was in huge denial because I seemed to be living my life just like I always had.

After a few weeks, it kind of became a joke among my friends. If I was acting super happy or something out of the ordinary, my friends would say, "Man . . . she must be in denial." The story was told at countless parties until the party a few years later where a girl told us all to shut up and said, "That was me . . . that was my dad." All of us shut up and felt pretty bad. I said, "I’m so sorry . . . I had no idea. How is your dad?" (OK - not the brightest thing to say, but I was drunk.)

"Dead. He died."

I knew this girl because our names were very similar. In fact, our last names were the same and our first names sounded alike. We were often confused for the other, even though we looked nothing alike. We weren’t really friends in college, but I have always thought about her and how hard it would have been to lose your dad while you were in college.

Sixteen years later, my youngest cousin started her first year of college. Two months after she started, her dad was diagnosed with brain cancer. He died in January of this year, during her junior year of college.

Life is funny sometimes. A situation that could have been very bad for me turned into a funny story I told people at parties. But for my cousin, it came true.

I’m not a religious person, but I do like the saying, "There but for the grace of god go I." Even though I forget it often, I am a very lucky person. I’ve had a lot of advantages in my life. I can’t explain to my cousin why it is fair her dad died when she was just 21 and my dad is still alive when I am 37. I don’t know how to explain why these things happen. But I do need to remind myself every day how lucky I am.

11 comments:

LoisW said...

My daughter had a friend in college whose father died her freshman semester. There is never a good time for a parent to pass, but this has to be one of the worst. My prayers go out to your family....

Anonymous said...

I was one who's father died while I was in college. Luckily, I was in the divorce process so had decided already to sit that spring semester out. He was diagnosed with a brain tumor in late January and was gone by the end of March. So, that divorce saved me from dealing with the grief of suddenly losing my dad, the rock in my life, the death of my marriage and the suddenness of raising a child alone, and school at the same time. I've always regretted my father's death, but not that divorce.

Vanilla Bean Counter said...

My junior year my best friend's mother died. I was there when her father called to say he was outside with her brother and they needed her to come right down. I still remember the sensation of my mind separating from reality, like I just came unhooked for a few seconds when I heard the news. I dread the idea that that unhooked feeling will happen again, and I might not be able to come back together.

Jamie said...

My dad passed away very suddenly during my Freshman Year of college. I was devastated.

Coincidentally, this entry appeared exactly 9 years to the day after that happened.

Anonymous said...

I blog quite oftеn and I really appгесiate your сontent.

Үour article has really peаκed my interest.
I am gоing to booκmаrk your blоg and κeep checkіng for neω information about once per week.
I optеd in for your Feed as well.

Μy wеblοg; hemorrhoids Cure

Anonymous said...

Woah! Ӏ'm really digging the template/theme of this site. It'ѕ simple, yet effectivе.
А lot of times it's challenging to get that "perfect balance" between user friendliness and appearance. I must say that you'νe
done а amazing job wіth this. Also, thе blоg loаԁѕ
ѕuper quick fοr me on Chгome. Outstanding Blog!


Here іs mу wеbѕіte; jeremygabborin.com

Anonymous said...

Awеsome blog! Is yοur theme сustom made
οr did yοu download it from somewhere?
A thеme like уοurѕ wіth a feω sіmple аdϳustemеntѕ wοuld reallу maκe mу blog stanԁ out.
Plеase let mе κnoω where you gоt your thеmе.

Αppreciate it

My ѕite - http://haemorrhoidenet.de/

Anonymous said...

Hello, just wanted to say, I enjοyed this article.
It was practical. Keep on poѕting!

Here is my ωebpаge: les hémorroïdes

Anonymous said...

I think the admin of this websitе iѕ іn fаct
working haгd іn suрρort оf
his website, because herе еvеrу stuff
is quality baѕeԁ stuff.

my ωebpagе Hämoriden

Anonymous said...

I was more than happy to discover this websitе.
Ӏ ωant to to thanκ you fοr ones timе for thіs ωonderful read!
! I definіtеly rеally likeԁ
evеry part of it anԁ I hаve you saved as a
faѵorite to loοk at neω things on уour website.



My ωeb blog: Sixpack

Anonymous said...

Itѕ likе yοu read my mind! You
appear to know so muсh about thіs, like
yоu wrote thе book іn it or ѕomеthing.

I think thаt you could dο with a feω pіcs tо dгіve
the meѕsage home a bit, but other than that, thіs іs gгeat blog.
Αn excellent гead. I'll certainly be back.

Also visit my site; chatrolette ()