Monday, January 14, 2008

All Evidence to the Contrary . . .

I'm not dead. I feel dead, but since I actually dragged my sick body to work today, I guess I'm not actually dead. I rarely get sick. I have a very low tolerance for sick people, including myself. Which may explain why I am not able to just stay in bed and get better.

I got a tickle in my throat last Tuesday and was hoarse by Tuesday night. (I suppose the margaritas at dinner didn't help.) By Wednesday morning, I completely lost my voice and it was gone for Thursday and Friday as well. I was back to sort-of-sexy hoarse on Saturday and Sunday. (OK, it was only sexy if you like your deep-voiced women with a hacking cough, fever, and runny nose.)

The thing is, I would have gone to work sick. However, my son was also sick and my little girl wasn't feeling that well either. So, there is something worse than being sick - being sick and taking care of other sick people. Ugh.

And another thing, while I'm complaining, what kind of doctor's office doesn't have available appointments when you call on Friday until TUESDAY at 3:30?? Well, hell . . . I'll either be officially dead or better by TUESDAY. However, now it is almost Tuesday and I'm not dead or better, so I guess I'll take the appointment. Now that I have infected everyone else in the last four days. Sorry.

And another thing. I'm not going to go to any stupid "promptcare." For one thing, it is not "prompt" at all. It's more like, "If you're not dead, we'll see you now and then mis-diagnose you." No way. For another thing, they can't tell an ass from an elbow. The last time I went to promptcare, they diagnosed a scarlet fever rash as DRY SKIN. NOT HELPFUL.

2 comments:

Mama T said...

Sorry you are feelin crappy, PH...I hope you feel better soon, hon. Vitamin water is fabulous when you are sick, by the way.

:o)

-Hugs to the sickly...

Jaded

Anonymous said...

I just love Proctor First Care, PromptCare, Medpointe, etc. (sarcastic)! They tell you to get an appointment because appointments have priority over walk ins and you still have to wait forever to be seen. I had an appointment and waited for over 2 hours once at Proctor First Care. I sure felt like a priority!

As for these places misdiagnosing, I went to Proctor First Care with an EVIL respiratory ailment. I was nursing my youngest son so I knew not all antibiotics were availible to me. I was given a prescription that would not dry up my milk or harm my baby. 2 weeks later I still wasn't better. I took my baby for a check up and the doctor told me how bad I looked and sounded. I told him I had gone to Proctor and this is what they gave me and I still wasn't any better. He told me the antibiotic I was given was for urinary tract infections and ineffective for respiratory issues. He gave me a prescription and I was better in 2 days!