Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I Get By . . .

With a little help from my friends. I get high . . . wait, no . . . wrong post. In spite of my never-ending sickness, I needed to get a few things done this weekend. In particular, I needed to move some furniture around to make room for my little girl.

One of the downfalls of being single is that there is no strong man to move furniture with you. (Notice, I did not say for me, I said with me.) In the not-so-distant past, I have been known to move every piece of furniture by myself around the house. In fact, I moved a full size mattress and box springs from the upstairs to the first floor all by myself. However, that just about killed me so I decided to admit I needed help and get some help.

That was when wonderful Katie volunteered herself and her boyfriend to help me move some stuff. And she brought along Mr. Gourmand-O-Rama and his beautiful daughter Chloe. I needed two big brawny men and she delivered!

Of course, the humor in this whole story is that my parents were also in town for the weekend. Some people might wonder why they couldn't just help me with moving some furniture. Several reasons, but mostly because I really don't need one of them hurting themselves by trying to do too much (my dad will never admit when he can't do something). Also, they had been helping so much all weekend - my dad finished stripping wallpaper off of the bathroom walls and my mom babysat most of the morning. The biggest reason, however, was that I didn't want my dad to mess with the TV/cable/DVD because he would have screwed it up. He would say he could do it, but I know he would have screwed it up.

Anyway, on Thursday night, I was talking to my parents on the phone and told them I had some help for the furniture this weekend:

Me: Good news - I was talking to my friend Katie about the furniture moving this weekend and she said she could help, which is good because she has . . .

Dad: (interrupting) A furniture trolley?!? Good, can she bring it?

Me: . . . um, no . . . she has a really strong boyfriend who can hook up a TV/cable/DVD system. But who knows, maybe she does have a furniture trolley too.

It was kind of sad that my dad thought it was more likely that I had a friend who owned a furniture trolley than a friend who had a strong boyfriend. Oh, well. I forgot to ask Katie about the furniture trolley, but the moving got done really quickly and I truly appreciated the help!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I don't know if it's considered a furniture trolley, but I do have one of those things with two wheels that you can move a fridge with...well I can't move a fridge with it, but I can point where it should go pretty well...I would be happy to volunteer boyfriend to run it over, if ever you should need it! Just yell!!