Sunday, January 27, 2008

Monkey See . . .

When I picked up my little girl from day care on Friday night, one of her teachers said to me, "Oh, by the way, you might want to watch out this weekend. She might try to flush stuff down the toilet."

I turned to look at her and said, incredulously, "She DID that today?"

The teacher said, "Oh, no, but we have had several children do that today and in the past couple of weeks. We have had the plumber come out and even had to have the whole toilet replaced."

Oh my god. It shocked to me to think that this happened at her day care once, let alone several times. Several questions came to mind. (1) How closely are these two year olds being supervised if they can get a large item into the bathroom and flush it before a teacher notices and do it more than once? (2) What makes her think my kid would do this sort of thing? Monkey see, monkey do?

Well, my little girl is not a particularly destructive child and I would never think she would do this sort of thing. (My son - that's another story.) But, despite their individual personalities and destructive natures, I can't imagine that they would be unsupervised in my house long enough to accomplish this task. In addition, my house is small enough that I can pretty much see what is going on in all rooms on one floor at a time.

Just in case, she and I had a long talk about what goes in the toilet and what doesn't go in the toilet. Of course, this weekend I had decided to seriously start potty training and the talk fit right in to our plan. Pee and poop and toilet paper in the toilet, only! In her infinite two year old wisdom, she asks, "What about throw up?" OK, you got me - throw up goes in the toilet too. I say this as I am thinking in the back of my mind, "Yeah, throw up goes in the toilet. If I could only be that lucky . . . ."

5 comments:

My Flock Rocks! said...

You should live in a house with a septic system! Nothing goes down that baby besides the usual, TP & puke...Not even kleenex but hubby decided to flush paper towels! I don't have him toilet trained yet!

Katie said...

Good luck with that...Shelby flushed my cell phone at that age...and gave herself a mullet. But in my defense I was nursing at the time and not terribly mobile.

Anonymous said...

At one of my baby showers, I received a toilet lock. So, I decided to put it on...everyone laughed.
Had to take the toilet lock off once our son was old enough to become potty trained. That's when our 13 month old daughter threw the cordless phone into the toilet. And after taking the phone apart and drying it out, it still works!

tsheets said...

@kara - It may have still worked, but I bet the sound was crappy!! LOL

Anonymous said...

tsheets - LOL! Thanks for the laugh!
:)