Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Well, I Would NEVER Write a Blog

My mother was in town this weekend, having fun while my dad was snowshoeing in the UP of Michigan. (That's a lie - since it was 23 below in the UP, without considering the windchill, they just sat around and drank, but anyway . . . .) So, my mom was in town for the long weekend helping me around the house, bonding with the kids, etc.

While fixing dinner on Saturday night, we got to talking about the books my book club is reading. I was really disappointed I had to miss our last book club meeting because I had a lot to say about the book. I was telling my mom that our next book is called Drunk, Divorced, and Covered with Cat Hair. We were laughing because I was kind of embarrassed to go to the store and buy it. Plus, when I went to Borders, I couldn't find it and I was too embarrassed to ask.

My mom was laughing with (at) me about this and asked why I was so embarrassed. Well, it just hits a little too close to home . . . you know . . . drunk . . . divorced . . . covered with cat (and dog) hair . . . still single after all these years . . . not getting any younger . . . or thinner . . . etc. My loving mother said, "Well, at least you're not divorced." Thanks, mom.

I admitted I didn't know much about the book but I did know that the author was a blogger and the book is substantially based on her blog entries. I also said I think a few book club members picked it because they have blogs.

As an aside, my parents are not aware that I write this blog. The only reason they don't know is that they would not approve of the way I talk about my sister-in-law. They agree with me, but they would not like that I talk semi-publicly about her in such an honest way. I find it therapeutic to bitch about my sister-in-law, so, my parents don't know about the blog.

Anyway, my mother says, emphatically, "OH, I would NEVER write a blog! Having all of that personal stuff out there in my profession? I mean, just like you, I feel it is not very professional to expose yourself to all of your clients and the public in such a way. Oh, I can't imagine all of those people reading all of that stuff about me."

Ummmm . . . so, I guess it was not the appropriate moment to come out of the closet about the blog. I guess I will wait until my book deal includes an nice big advance and then tell them about the blog.

4 comments:

My Flock Rocks! said...

I have been warned not to blog about "family" (hubby's side) but one of these days I'm going to crack! It's some really good stuff! Why are some people so paranoid?

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wish I hadn't told certain people about my blog because now it is harder to bitch about them. I'm sure I will still bitch about them but I have to be a little more stealth now!

Jennifer said...

I haven't told my family about my blog, either, I think it would make my kids self conscious, and as noted, it would make it harder to bitch about people!

(I haven't bought the book club book yet, either, but NHBC said it was entertaining and that she read it in about 3 hours. Maybe not the best book club fodder, but I'm sure it will be fine and we can pick something a bit more "substantial" for the next book.)

Laura Petelle said...

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't told certain people about my blog because now it is harder to bitch about them."

Ditto, only not so much the bitching ... the telling of funny stories that might hurt feelings.

It was definitely a light read, but amusing enough. Kind of a beach read, IMHO. Comes with knitting patterns!