Friday, June 13, 2008

Bubble Got Back

One of the rules in my house is that bubbles can only be blown in the bathtub or outside. If you think that makes me a kill-joy, please consider how slippery and sticky bubble soap makes hardwood and ceramic tile floors. I haven't got time for that kind of mess. I have enough mess made through allowed activities in my house.

Anyway, every time the kids take a bath, I sit next to the tub and blow bubbles. Bubbles entertain children for hours and they love getting and popping them in the bathtub. And, no one gets messy because you can just wash it off! (Believe me, I have considered letting them eat in the bathtub but there isn't enough room. Plus, it's probably not that sanitary.)

Last night during their bath, I blew a really big bubble. The kids were astounded and amazed. They gasped in delight. My daughter said, "I like BIG bubbles!!" She said it in such a way, it came out like Sir Mix-a-Lot's "Baby Got Back" when he says, "I like big butts and I cannot lie . . . ." So, I started singing "Baby Got Back" but stopped when I realized the words were really inappropriate on so many levels. But they giggled (probably from watching this very white mommy try to rap . . . I admit, it was kinda sad.) But they enjoyed it, so I changed the words to the song to make it more kid-friendly. Here it is:

I like big bubbles and I cannot lie

You other brothers can't deny

That when a bubble blows in with no itty bitty waist

And a round thing in your face

You get fun, wanna pop out your tongue

'Cause you notice that bubble was stuffed

High in the air it’s flying

I'm hooked and I can't stop staring

Oh baby, I wanna get it with you

And take its picture

My homeboys tried to warn me

But that bubble I see makes me so happy

I think there is some merit to the idea that something happens to your brain when you become a parent. If this wasn't so funny, I might be embarrassed for myself. But, I've had a shitty week and I needed the laugh and . . . there it is.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a "friends" episode were they could only get the baby to stop crying by singing "Baby Got Back". Your are right about something happens to you when you become a parent. My motto is if I think it is funny thats good enough, it is just bonus if anyone else gets it.

Tom

Katie said...

Hilarious!! Who says you need to get a life?!?

Rixblix said...

Sometimes lack of sleep and high stress do some weird stuff. I love your rendition, though. We've got a few similar ones around here..."Well I'd Like to Know Where....to put the lotion" (instead of "I'd like to know where you go the notion) and just as the boys start to melt down, dad and I yell "AAAAHHHHHHH Freak Out" (you know, Le Freak, C'est Chic!)

Lexie said...

I do that all the time :)
My husband started to sing that song that goes "Go Shorty, its your birthday..." for our daughter's birthday last week... but I stopped him. Of course, she was already bopping along so we changed it up and now she sings the Preschool Remix on a regular basis :)
She also has a soft spot for Usher's "Yeah" so we have changed those lyrics quite a bit...
And of course we work hard to get it all on tape to embarrass her when she gets older...

Anonymous said...

Silly me! After 20some years, I completely forgot about the bubbles mess, until I purchased a 10-pack at Walgreen's to have some fun with the grandbaby. Yeah, all over the kitchen tile. And yes, I slipped and nearly lost my ass. So, the bubbles are now outside at the patio bar, near her little blow-up pool. I didn't really think of any song to sing as I was slipping. Just "Oh, sh*t! Bubbles!"

Jennifer said...

Yes, I think you are smart to incorporate the bubbles in to bathtime. It might head off any "I hate baths" phase.

And I love the song!