Monday, October 22, 2007

I Still Want One for Christmas

Over the weekend, I got a toy catalog featuring old toys, like original-looking Slinkies (including a Slinky-Dog). There were several toys in the catalog that brought back fond memories. But one toy sent me way back into a preteen fit. The Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine.

Flashback. . . .

It is 1979. I am 8 years old and all I want for Christmas is a Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine. I can't picture my life without one. You throw in some ice cubes, the Machine grinds them into frost, you scoop them into a paper cup with the Woodstock Sno Shovel and then Squirt some Snoopy-flavor-juice on the ice. Heaven in a paper cup.

I begged and begged and begged and begged. Every time the commercial came on, I forced my parents to watch it. Every time, they looked at me like I was crazy. Finally, my dad looked at me and said, "We already have something just like that."

What?!?

Had they been holding out on me? Was Christmas coming early this year? Would I finally get something I actually wanted for Christmas?

I followed my dad into the kitchen. He said, "Close your eyes." I shut them tight. I couldn't contain myself. I heard him opening cabinet doors and shutting drawers. Then he said, "Ta-da!!" I opened my eyes. My father had carefully arranged the following items on the counter:

A large shot glass
A silver ice tea spoon
A tray of ice cubes
An old metal ice crusher - the one he still uses to crush ice for making martinis - the one with a handle you have to crank yourself.

My face fell. I was nearly in tears. My dad was suppressing a giggle. He said, "Well . . . make me a snow cone!" I looked down and said, "I can't. There's no syrup. The Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine comes with syrup."

He handed me a bottle of Creme de Menthe.



I didn't get a Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine for Christmas that year. But here's the thing I realized. I would probably do the exact same thing if my kid begged for a ridiculous toy with no real purpose. On the other hand, I might just give in and let a kid be a kid. All kids need a few useless toys in their lives. Think of all the useless adult toys we all have.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My grandparents used to give me Cream de Menthe when I was a child after dinner. I had no idea it was alcohol until I was an adult. No wonder I always slept well over there!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I ever had a snoopy snowcone maker, either. I did have the Barbie perfume maker, though, and I'm sure my parents were thinking they should have gone with the snowcone maker, as the snowcones had to taste better than that perfume smelled...

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha! Your dad is a riot. :-)

I used to go through the JC Penney Christmas catalog every year and circle all the items I wanted for Christmas. One year my brother added up the cost of everything I had circled. The total was well over $1,000.

Unknown said...

I had the snowcone maker when I was a kid...it made exactly two snowcones before it broke. I remember it sitting in the garage for several years after that, because my dad was going to "fix it", a promise he made to stop my tears after that second fated snowcone. He never did. A couple of years ago, my daughter wanted one "more than anything." Despite my experience, I searched the stores and found one (who knew snowcone machines were going to that popular?) She and her sister and brother got three snowcones out of it before the handle snapped off. In the midst of her tears, I promised to try and fix it, and stashed it on the top shelf of a kitchen cabinet. When we moved last year, I threw it away (while she was at school.) Guess I should have known better, but maybe we all need to have our dreams come true, even if it only lasts through three sticky snowcones.