Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Snubbed at the Blogger Bash

So, last night was the blogger bash. It was the second since I entered the world of blogging and the second I have attended. A good time was had by all, although there was this weird junior-high type divide between the men and women. Except for Diane, who managed to break the barrier. Before I left, I did manage to sit at the boys' table for a few minutes.

As mentioned on several other blogs, there were a few "special guests." One of them was so special that he could not be bothered to talk to the women's table at the bash. Matt Bisbee, a member of Jim McConoughey's campaign, showed up shortly after the bash started. Frankly, when he entered, I thought he was lost. He was dressed like your classic young Republican - very clean cut, not a hair out of place, very straight teeth. He walked in and talked to the men's table for awhile and left without even glancing at the women's table. Before I knew who he was, I thought, well . . . whatever, maybe he just isn't into women.

But as he was leaving, someone said who he was and that he was from McConoughey's campaign. Well, I am certainly not going to vote for McConoughey now. Admittedly, I am as likely to vote for McConoughey as Howard Dean would be, but still . . . it was just not good form. A good life lesson (an even better lesson for pols, or their wannabes) is - talk to every one in a room when you are representing a candidate. You never know who you may snub.

And for those of you who are wondering, I did vote for a Republican once. He was a friend of the family running for the House and he was pro-choice. Well, he won the election, but it didn't turn out well after that. I learned my lesson.

Actually, the best part of the bash was that several people at our table thought Matt Jones was the manager from Bar Louie. Matt's great (well . . . for a Republican) but thank god his chosen profession is law.

6 comments:

Laura Petelle said...

I think it's a bit of a Mars/Venus thing at the blogger bashes. Most of the men, lovely though they are, are big talkers, and loud talkers, and plow over other talkers. I've noticed the women mostly just get talked over when it's a mixed table, and they politely stop and wait to re-enter the conversation ... which never happens.

Whenever I sit at the "boy table" I end up with a sore throat from shouting.

Jonathan Ahl said...

If I'm ever allowed to attend a blogger bash, I promise I will spend more time with the ladies than the dudes. I suspect the girls are more interesting.

Laura Petelle said...

I know! That's why my throat gets so sore!

Mama T said...

Hey PH...Just wanted to say that it was nice meeting you finally last night. I had a great time! I wasn't at all offended by the republican snub...believe me, I am used to that from the republican party anyway. Hee hee.

:o)
Jaded

Anonymous said...

What? Us women folk get to vote!?! I thought all we got to do is housework and birth us some babies! ;)

Mama T said...

I don't know nothin bout birthin no babies, Miss Scarlet...

LMAO.