Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Certain Kind of Envy

It seems that many profound conversations with one's children happen in the car, while the parent is driving and the child is in the back seat. Who knows, maybe children pick this time to bring up the big issues because they know their parents are captive. Maybe they know this is a good time because the parent is preoccupied. For whatever reason, this is the conversation we had last night coming home from work:

Daughter: How come boys stand up?

Me: Stand up where?

Daughter: Stand up to go potty. How come boys stand up?

I paused for a moment, wondering how far this conversation was going to go. We were approaching the drive through pharmacy window and I really didn't want to have the conversation while the pharmacists listened.

Daughter: How come, Mama?

Me: Because boys have penises.

Daughter: Penis? Girls not have penis?

Me: No, only boys.

She was silent for a few minutes, obviously thinking this over. Then she said this:

Daughter: When I get big, I gonna have a penis.

Me: Really?

Daughter: Yep . . . when I get big.

I resisted the urge to ask her where she was going to get this new penis (after she got big, of course.) Then I started wondering where they get the penises for women who have sex change operations to become men. The penis doesn't exactly seem to be an organ that could be donated on your donor card, does it? I'm kinda scared to google it because (1) who knows what kind of "list" I would be on if I googled something like that and (2) if I did google it, there might be pictures and that would make me throw up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday my boys invaded my bedroom to watch tv. I finally said that everyone with a penis has to leave. My youngest then told me he doesn't have a penis, he has a vaginis. I was almost crying I was laughing so hard.

Ms. PH said...

Don't you wish you had those moments on video? That would be such a great thing to play at his wedding!!

Rixblix said...

When my oldest was about D's age, he informed us that girls don't have penis', they have fur.