Friday, August 22, 2008

The Punishment Doesn’t Fit the Crime

I’ve been having a craptacular week. Just one thing after another after another. Mostly work related, but there has been some personal crap too. On Tuesday, I came home to find a yellow piece of paper stuck in my front door. It was from an animal control officer. It said, "Please contact our office no later than 8-21-08 at 5:00 regarding the following item(s). Failure to do so will result in legal action."

My crime? "Rabies vaccination and/or registration of cat. Ticket will be issued." Great.

I’ll readily admit I haven’t always gotten my cat vaccinated for rabies in a timely manner. He is an indoor only cat. He never goes outside, except for the few times he tricks a new person into leaving the front door open too long. Then he runs out and flops on the nearest driveway. And stays there until I go pick him up and carry him back to the house. The only rabid animal he is in danger of being bitten by is my dog and she always gets her yearly rabies vaccination.

It is not that I care more for my dog than I care for my cat. They irritate me equally. However, it is much easier to get the dog to the vet than it is to get the cat to the vet. The dog hops in the back seat and is happy on a leash. The cat never goes outside and would probably maim me if I put him on a leash. And, for some reason, I no longer have a cat carrier, so transporting the cat to the vet is an issue. But, I guess the rabies vaccination police don’t consider all those factors when issuing tickets.

I decided that it was probably time to get him vaccinated anyway, just to avoid any legal unpleasantness. (I mean, you never know what they'll take away your law license for these days.) I called my vet and checked to make sure I was actually late on the vaccination - just checking if the animal control people were yanking my chain. She said, "Well . . . it has been awhile. The last one he got was in October of 2005. I’m surprised they haven’t gotten you before!" OK, so I missed two vaccinations (2006 and 2007), which sounds a whole lot better than saying it has been three years since he was vaccinated.

I said, "I don’t really know how to get him there - I don’t have a carrier anymore." She replied, "Oh, just put him in a pillowcase . . . just don’t tie a knot in it."

Oh yeah, because that will make him even happier to go to the vet. I swear, I would not want to be the one taking him out of the pillowcase.

Anyway, I borrowed a cat carrier, made the appointment for this morning, went on my merry way, still having a shitty week. Then I got the ticket in the mail last night. I was assuming that, since the rabies tag fee is $12 for neutered cats, that the ticket might be two or three times that amount - like between $25 and $35. That’s not too painful, I thought. I’ll just be better about remembering next time.

The ticket was $100.

$100

Holy crap. I almost fell off my chair. And that’s only if I: (1) admit my guilt and (2) pay the fine before my court date. Otherwise, I can go to court, plead guilty, and pay $115. Or, I can proceed to a bench trial and probably get fined three times that amount for wasting the court’s time. No wonder they are going after these horrible rabies vaccination offenders. Cold hard cash.

Of course, that doesn’t count the money I have to pay to actually get him the rabies shot. There is a $12 fee to the County, a $40 fee for the well-cat exam, a $10 fee for the rabies vaccine, and $20 for the distemper vaccine. So that’s $82 in addition to the ticket. My cat cost me $182 today. I’m seriously considering taken him off Iams and switching to Meow Mix.

Then again, let’s do the math. If I was keeping up on the vaccinations, he would have cost me $82 in 2006, $82 in 2007, and $82 in 2008. That equals $246, which is obviously more than $182. So, by breaking the law, I actually saved $64. I’m not sure how much deterrence there is in this sentence. Don't tell animal control . . . .

Furthermore, almost everyone I have talked to says one or all of their animals is not up on their rabies vaccinations. My parents said they didn’t think their recently deceased cat had ever had a rabies vaccination after she came home from the shelter. My dad said he was worried that they would make him get her a rabies shot before they agreed to put her to sleep. (They didn't, but doesn't that just seem like something the government would do? Make you protect your cat from disease before having it killed?)

I'm not planning on doing the "layaway" version of feline rabies vaccinations again in the future, however. Apparently, the fine goes up upon your second offense. I bet there is even a three strikes law. For the third offense, you go to jail for life. This is a serious crime, people. You better watch yourselves.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's pretty stiff.

Katie said...

I'm glad that you got a cat carrier. The pillow case would have had tragic consequenses

Anonymous said...

I guess you are a crook. You daughter was right.

Anonymous said...

Isn't this how some people's animals 'die'? There use to be a box to check if the animal was deceased. I had a lot of 'deceased' pets in my life.

Laura Petelle said...

Mine are always up to date because when we lived in North Carolina, they took rabies vax compliance EXTREMELY SERIOUSLY and the tickets were MUCH more expensive than they are here in Peoria. (It was also a helluva a lot more expensive to have an intact animal in NC, becuase we had such a massive stray and feral problem down there. Pet stuff here is cheap.)

You can get a 3-year vax. Grey Cat gets that one. $36 for the license (Instead of $12/year every year).

Diane,
Shelters keep track, and reputable pet sellers are supposed to as well.

Jennifer said...

Hmm... I better call the vet about dog... I think he usually gets his shot in the summer (and, oopps! school's back in session, so it's not "summer" anymore-no matter what the calendar says!)

Anonymous said...

100% of schizophrenics spent some of their childhood in a home with cats. safety first.

Ms. PH said...

I'm sorry, but maybe that anonymous comment was supposed to be a serious warning to me, but I just think it is hilarious!!

I think I know where those statistics are coming from!

But, hey, why be anonymous if you are going to be so funny? Come on, show yourself! I love your sense of humor!

Rixblix said...

I'm 42% sure that Anon was making some dig at you. Then again, he might be commenting from prison. In which case, I'm 98% sure he's right. (or Left?) You big meanie.