Wednesday, August 13, 2008

It's the Thought that Counts

My nephew's birthday is at the end of June. This year, he turned three years old and he is an airplane fanatic. So, I got him a toy airplane and some pajamas with airplanes on them. He lives in Wisconsin, so I mailed the package to him. Admittedly, I mailed the package late - not until July 7th. To compensate for my lateness, I spent the money and overnight mailed it. Obviously, he should have received it on July 8th.

Well, imagine my surprise when my parents told me they were at his house on August 8th and there, sitting in the front hall, was the birthday present box . . . unopened. Now, granted, the box itself does not scream I AM A BIRTHDAY PRESENT because it is just a plain brown box. However, in big all capital letters, it is addressed to my nephew from me. I even used my full name, just in case my brother and sister-in-law were confused. There it was, a month later, still in the hallway.

Now there are several things that strike me as odd about this situation. First, what kind of three year old leaves a package alone for four weeks? The minute my three year old spies a package, she is like a cadaver dog in a morgue. She points at the box until I open it and show her the contents, even if the contents are just for me. Of course, most often, the contents are for her or my son, so she is justified. She was really pissed when I wouldn't open the box from American Girl, even though it was a plain brown box with no markings and she had no idea it contained her birthday presents.

Second, what kind of parents deny their three year old a birthday present? They had to know it was in there - it's not like I send them packages every day. And it was addressed to their son, for crying outside. What else could it have been?

Third, how the hell did they deal with a big box in their front hallway for a month? They have a small apartment-style condo which is just over 900 square feet. In this small space live two adults, two children, and three cats who each weigh over 20 pounds. The box was big enough to take up a good portion of the front hallway, which is really just part of their living room. How did they manage to step around or over it for a month without just opening it?

Fourth, why would they leave it out when they know my parents are coming? There are very few secrets in our immediate family and, they had to know my parents (in particular, my dad) would tell me about it the first time he had the chance. They had to know it would piss me off because they know shit like that pisses me off.

As long as I am on that rant, let's talk about birthday gifts for a little bit. I may be a little late giving birthday gifts, but I always give them and I am a damn good gift giver. Once my nephew got to open the box and see his airplane, he loved it and carried it around for the rest of the weekend. I give gifts because I like to pick out gifts for people and give them, particularly for children. And I don't necessarily expect to receive gifts in return, but it would be nice if my brother and sister-in-law would remember just one of my kids' birthdays.

That's right . . . I have a daughter who is almost three and a son who will be two in November. And not once have they received birthday presents from their only aunt and uncle. Not even a card. As I have mentioned before, they suck at giving gifts. But what is stopping them from calling and asking what my children would like? That shit just pisses me off.

2 comments:

Katie said...

That's just awful! At least A loved his gift, which is really the best part of that whole story!

Jennifer said...

Wow, that is awful! I'd be pissed too, especially since I payed for express mail (so expensive!). That was really thoughtless of them.