Friday, January 16, 2009

Goodbye Uncle T

My Uncle T died on Monday afternoon. As I detailed in this post, it was not a sudden death and he was ready to go. For his sake, I am happy he was able to pass on and have his life end per his wishes. But it is still a death and, more importantly, the first death of a member of my parents’ generation in our family.

This has been the hardest part of T’s illness and death for me - being faced to recognize the potential death of my parents. T was 59 years old, which makes him four years younger than my mother and nine years younger than my father. Granted, my parents live much healthier lifestyles than T did, but they can’t live forever and, sooner or later, I will be coping with their deaths as well.

Just admitting this puts me close to panic. I can seriously cannot imagine my life without my parents. They are the single most dominant force in my life and, without them, I am in some fear that I will cease to exist. Well, maybe that’s overly dramatic. But I know that I will cease to exist as the same person after they die and that's scary.

In addition to the fear of their death, I have a healthy fear of their incapacitation, mentally or physically. My dad has good longevity genes (both of his parents lived into their 90s) but his father suffered from Alzheimer’s Disease for the last 20 years of his life. His mother was mentally "with it" for longer, but for the last five years or so, slowly succumbed to dementia as well. For some time, I have feared that my father will also descend into Alzheimer’s.

My mother’s genes are considerably better in that department. Her mother died quickly in her sleep without any prior serious illnesses at the age of 79. Her father just turned 90 and is still very physically and mentally able. But my Uncle T was my mother’s brother, so who is to say brain cancer isn’t lurking somewhere in those genes? While our family likes to joke that T purposefully developed brain cancer to get away from his horrible wife, it is bittersweet laughter.

What makes this fear worse for me is the knowledge that it will fall on my shoulders to deal with any health problems or a death. My brother has absolutely no ability to deal with serious issues in a calm and reasoned fashion. He prefers to pretend everything is OK, no matter the evidence to the contrary.

I know I can’t do anything constructive about these issues other than worry about them and that doesn’t really get me anywhere. I have been blessed to have my parents together and alive and always in my life. I was lucky to know all of my grandparents very, very well and not lose the first one until I was 27. A lot of people don’t get these opportunities and never have the strength of familial relationships I have had.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your loss. I've experienced the deaths of 3 younger people in my extended family. While those were all horrible, I haven't had to deal with a death of an aunt or uncle yet, but I see one deteriorating quickly which of course makes me think about my parents which of course freaks me out too.

Hang in there.

Vodka Mom said...

I am very sad for you. This kind of thing DOES make you question everything. However, do not look TOO far ahead. You never never know what life will bring. Life is a bastard like that. And I love life- but you NEVER know what it will bring.

xoxox

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

Sorry about your uncle! And sorry about the fact that some of your family memebers are incompetent. It puts a lot of pressure on you the sane one I am sure. : )

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss...he was young! um, three years older than me!

snicketmom said...

I'm so sorry about your uncle. You seem to have such a close family. This was a lovely post and I appreciate that you are so honest and candid about such hard fears to face.

Ramble On said...

Sorry to hear of Uncle T's death. It may surprise you that parents often worry about how their demise will will affect their children. I think that is my only fear as far as my own end of life is concerned. Enjoy the "now" with your parents.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle...

Like you, I freak thinking about my parents passing. My parents are older than their own fathers when they died, so it freaks me out even more. I just can't wrap my brain around it. Mr. Rix's dad died last year, too...it just all seems to be happening tooooooo fast.

Jennifer said...

PH,
You put into words what a lot of us fear. I'm so sorry for your loss and the subsequent worries it has caused.
I, too, will be the one to handle everything in my family (I'm sure from reading my blog you're like, OBVIOUSLY!) and it freaks me out.
Jennifer