Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Being a Cool Mom Starts Early

Upon returning home from work the other day, I turned on the TV so my son could enjoy 15 minutes of Baby Einstein while I changed out of my work clothes and got a start on dinner. I thought I turned on the DVD player as well.

As I am getting the food out, I hear him giggling and squealing from the TV room, and I smile because he is obviously loving the Baby Einstein. Then I listen closer and realize the music coming from the TV is not the usual classical snippets you get from Baby Einstein. As I walk into the room, it becomes clear that the DVD player was not turned on and my son has been watching a rerun of Jackass on MTV. And he LOVES it. I am sure it has nothing to do with the content of the show, as he is much too young to understand any of it, most likely he is reacting to the fast music and moving people and things on the screen.

I let him watch for a few more minutes, mostly so I could listen to the cute squealing and belly laughing, and then turned it off. I held him up and said, "I want you to remember this when you are 15 years old - once upon a time, you had the coolest mom in the world." He rewarded me with his toothless grin and a spot of drool on my shirt.

No comments: