Friday, June 1, 2007

My Personal Clark Kent

I went to a small liberal arts college in a northern state. When I say northern, I mean it was the type of place where we had snow by Halloween and had to wear long underwear every day from October through March. It was cold, damn cold.

During the winter of my sophomore year, I had an early morning (9 am) psychology class. One morning, class had been in session for about ten minutes when a student walked in and took the seat next to me. I noticed him not only because he was late for class but also because he was beautiful. I thought to myself, "That guy looks like Superman!" He had jet black hair, piercing blue eyes, a strong jaw, and was very tall. I am sure I blushed when he sat next to me because I had been staring at him and thinking unclean thoughts.

This particular professor took attendance by passing a sheet of paper around class and asking us to sign our names. The late guy got the sheet immediately before me and I watched him sign his name. His first name was Clark! After I signed the sheet and passed it on, Clark reached into his pocket and pulled out a pair of socks. He took off his shoes and put the socks on his bare feet. I couldn't suppress my giggle and he looked at me and grinned. He whispered, "I was in a hurry - didn't have time for socks." I said, flirtatiously, "What else did you forget to put on?" He smiled (perfect teeth) and winked.

Thus started my high-school type attraction to/obsession with Clark. He never sat next to be again and seemed to forget our short encounter. Soon thereafter, I realized he was in the same circle of my friends, although somewhat removed because he was a class ahead of me. In the spring of that year, my friends and I found ourselves at his off-campus house for a party. I think one of my friends was dating one of his roommates. I thought this was my chance - I would finally have a chance with him.

Hours into the party, we decided to play Trivial Pursuit as a drinking game. The first question Clark got was about Prohibition. After the question was read to him, he paused, wrinkled his forehead, and said, "Prohibition? Man, I can never remember if that was about anti-drinking or anti-slavery!" The bubble of attraction that I had for Clark burst as I realized he was pretty . . . but stupid. It was over, simple as that.

I don't know where Clark is now. I am sure he is leading a perfectly productive life and has probably figured out the difference between Prohibition and Abolition. I wish him the best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am the very same way...a guy can be hot as hell, and if he can't form a grammatically correct sentence or happens to use the word "irregardless" in ANY sentence....he is SO out of there.
Ruins it for me completely! ;o)
Great writing, by the way! Check my blog out if you wish.

One love-
Jadedgirl
http://www.jadedgirl.blogpeoria.com