Sunday, August 26, 2007

What is Wrong with My Cat?

I have discussed before that my cat has some issues. My biggest problem with him is that he eats toilet paper. And that is a really annoying problem, when you think about it. Not only is it annoying because I can't have toilet paper in the holders in my house but it is also annoying because, when he does get a hold of some TP, he shreds it and spreads it around the house. It is very annoying to pick up tiny, semi-damp pieces of toilet paper all over the house.

Today, I discovered a new level to my cat's paper psychosis. I went grocery shopping and brought all of the bags in the house. However, after putting away the perishables, I had to take care of my son who desparately needed a diaper change and a nap. Upon returning downstairs about an hour later, I walked into the entryway to gather the rest of the groceries. The cat (who may now be called "The Damn Cat") had chewed holes in the paper bag of all-purpose flour. In the middle of the entryway. On top of a dark red oriental rug.

Of course, merely chewing holes in the paper was not enough. After releasing a good portion of the flour, he thought "Oh, this resembles kitty litter in an abstract way. I must now bury my treasure." While he didn't use the flour as kitty litter, he did dig in it to "hide" his mess. However, this just resulted in both spreading the flour in a fine dust around the room and grinding it into the rug. With his paws suitably covered with flour, he walked all over my dark green couches before I managed to catch him and hose him down.

Anybody want a cat?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could that post also be named "The Day I Almost Killed My Cat"?

My Flock Rocks! said...

Funny...I just asked my hubby yesterday if we could get a cat~
He said NO, and now I am not sure I want one!
I had a cat years ago, and it used to pee on towels that I kept under the sink in the bathroom. He would open the door, sneak in there, and take a whiz...Nothing worse that grabbin' a towel to dry your face, and it smells of cat piss!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, and I complain about our dog and all he does is shed white hair all over the place and chew up stuff.

Ms. PH said...

Oh, believe me, this is not his worst act in history. He got so mad at me when I brought the dog home, he peed on the guest room bed. I had to throw away a silk shirt, a suit, a duvet cover, a down comforter, a set of sheets, a down mattress pad and the mattress.

After that, he was fine.

Laura Petelle said...

You actually can clean bedding cats have peed on, you know. :)

It's possible he doesn't have enough fiber in his diet. Seriously. You can buy commercial "cat grass" kits for the problem. Or just any grass you grow organically. Sometimes that'll get them to stop eating paper.

He also might just be bored. Or plain evil.

Grey Cat also kills the toilet paper when bored. SO ANNOYING.

Ms. PH said...

Eyebrows -- You have touched upon one of the key characteristics of my personality. Some things just can't be cleaned enough and, therefore, must be thrown away.

Besides, I told so many people the guest bed/pee incident story that I had to get a new mattress and bedding. Otherwise, no one would ever stay over at my house anymore because they would think I was making them sleep on the pee bed.