Sunday, May 20, 2007

All Natural Cheetos

I was at the grocery store very early this morning. I am one of those kinds of mothers who runs out of formula at 6 am and has to go to the store before the next feeding. Of course, I put it off as long as I could so my son was on the edge of mild hunger when we entered the store. So, there I was, trying to get in and out in five minutes when something caught my eye in the organic food aisle. NATURAL CHEETOS.

I think to myself, there is no way they could make Cheetos natural. Cheetos are about the most unnatural food imaginable. But, there it is - "No Preservatives, No Artificial Flavors, No Artificial Colors." Now, I do not usually purchase Cheetos - I have never been a salty snack kind of person. However, I just had to buy a bag of Natural Cheetos - for research purposes. What's the verdict? They aren't bad, if you like mild cheese flavored packing peanuts. The ingredients are not too bad: Organic Corn Meal, Sunflower Oil, Whey, Cheddar Cheese, Maltodextrin, Sea Salt, Natural Flavors (again, what is a natural Cheeto flavor? I am sure it does not occur in nature), Disodium Phosphate, Sour Cream, Yeast, Lactic Acid, and Citric Acid. I don't think I will buy them again. As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure I will take them to my office this week to share - those guys will eat anything.

A few other oddities in the store this morning. There was a guy with a long ponytail in the cereal aisle holding a huge box of Fruit Loops. He was standing in front of the tape display, contemplating tape. For at least 5 minutes. I pretty sure he was stoned. Or, he really likes tape.

The other weirdo was the guy taking advantage of the Pepsi sale. In addition to all of his Pepsi products, he wanted to purchase a bag of cherries. He had an argument with the check-out lady because he thought it was $1.39 per bag, not a $1.39 per pound. After he paid, he decided he didn't want the cherries and made the lady give him his money back. And then they took the cherries back and put them out again for someone else to purchase. Yuck. I am going to wash my produce extra hard from now on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing says stoner like fruit loops and scotch tape. Did he have a can of squirt cheese too? That's always a dead giveaway.