Monday, May 21, 2007

Hello Kitty is My Homegirl

I like to wear T-Shirts with funny, thought-provoking, or political statements on them. I have quite a few of these T-Shirts, but sometimes I have to be careful where I wear them. For example, the one that says, "I'm Just One Big Fucking Ray of Sunshine" does not get worn as often because it is probably inappropriate to wear when dropping my son off at daycare. As an aside, my dad bought me that shirt because I am not always the most cheerful person.

The problem with wearing funny T-Shirts is that I always forget I have them on about 10 minutes after I put it on. When I walk around in public, I start to wonder why everyone is staring at my chest, so I look down because I think I have spilled something on myself. Then I remember which T-Shirt I have on and chuckle a little.

Today, my T-Shirt of choice has a picture of Hello Kitty on it and it says, "Hello Kitty is My Homegirl." I love this T-Shirt because I love Hello Kitty and it always gets a lot of second glances. Cool people my age, who remember the Hello Kitty of the 1970s, always smile when they see the shirt. Older people have a very confused look on their faces. Kids think its funny that an "old" person, such as myself, would wear a Hello Kitty T-Shirt. Most other people try not to react, as if reacting would be uncool or immature. This is how most of the other parents dropping off kids at daycare were this morning. Get over yourselves, people! Being a parent is the best excuse for doing and wearing funny things.

I only got one comment on the shirt today. I went to Home Depot and asked a 23-year-old salesman for some help. I saw him looking at my chest and then he said, "That shirt is AWESOME!!" I think he really meant it . . . it didn't sound like he was trying to cover the fact he had been staring at my chest.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, if only the home depot dude was staring at something other than my "George Costanza in boxer shorts, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'" t-shirt.
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Now I'm completely baffled. So women want men to stare at their chests? That goes against everything I've been led to believe.

But hey, who am I to argue! :)

Billy Dennis said...

Homegirl, this blog is becoming a must-read for me.