Friday, May 18, 2007

Drag Racing Nuns

The other morning, I was up unusually early to go to the hospital for some tests. For me, it is highly unusual to be up, showered, dressed, and driving downtown at 6:30 in the morning. While driving to daycare on one of the streets downtown, my daughter was in the back seat talking up a storm, as usual. (Apparently, the early morning does not stunt her speech as it does mine.) At a stoplight, I hear her start saying, "Hi! Hi! Hi!! Hi!! Hi!!!" to the car next to us. This is also fairly normal. She waves and says hi to everyone when we are driving, including some really questionable truck drivers.

I looked back and saw that she was waving to a car full of nuns in full habits. The nuns are grinning at her and waving back, so she is thrilled. I smiled and giggled a little bit because the situation was clearly making everyone's morning much happier. As the light turns green, I start through the intersection. The nuns, in their 10 year old Honda, pull ahead of me, fast. I speed up a little, thinking I must be moving very slowly if these nuns are beating me. As I speed up, the nuns speed up. I look at my speedometer and realize I am currently going five miles over the speed limit and the nuns are still beating me.

I think I must be hallucinating. We meet again at the next stop light. The nuns and my daughter go through the waving and giggling thing again, and then they take off at the green light. We do this three times before I have to turn to go to daycare and the nuns speed off to where ever drag racing nuns go at 6:30 in the morning.

I guess even nuns have the need for speed.

No comments: