Monday, October 20, 2008

AHHH! My Mind's Eye!!!

My grandfather has a very unique first name. So unique, in fact, I have never met anyone else who has the same name with the same spelling. Consequently, when I see an email in my inbox this morning purporting to be from someone with that name, I opened it.

And, no . . . I did not stop when I saw the subject of the email was, "Mine is Bigger." Sometimes, my grandfather says completely benign things that look weird, but he doesn't really mean it that way. He's 90 years old, for christ's sake.

And then, even when I read the body of the email, it took me awhile to understand what was going on:

Augment your rocket with lots of inches utilizing the unequaled cure.

Go now to _________.com and take a look at the meritorious theraputics within reach.

God Damn spammers. Why on Earth would they use an old Swedish guy's name on an email like that? That sort of set the tone for my entire day.

4 comments:

Rixblix said...

Are you sure it was from a spammer and not some dude from Morton?? :)

Emerge Peoria said...

Haven't you heard, this is the season to pick on Americans with unusual names.

Anonymous said...

How shocking and scarring!

Anonymous said...

Could be worse. On Thanksgiving my grandfather was in the hospital and full of drugs. He kept flashing everyone in the room. Oh, the childhood full of scarring memories!