Sunday, October 26, 2008

So . . . That's Her Excuse

My daughter loves Notes from the Trailerhood Katie. I mean, everyone loves Katie, but my daughter really, really loves her. Katie's like Santa Claus in our house - the threat and the bribe to get my daughter to do things she doesn't want to do. Such as: "If you don't take a nap, we can't go over to Katie's house." It really, really works, every time.

As you may know, Katie and Dazoo (who is also in my daughter's top 10 people list) are renovating a house. Because I am indebted to Katie for her caretaking of me during the sprained ankle incident, I have gladly offered to help in any way I can. Well, also . . . they promised me I could take part in knocking down a wall and that's really, really exciting to me. I love destroying shit.

I digress.

Anyway, yesterday Katie and I had made tentative plans for me to help her and Dazoo at the house. I told my daughter about these plans (forgetting a three-year old probably didn't know the meaning of tentative) before her nap. Then she heard me call Katie after nap and leave a message. Only then did it dawn on her that we may not be seeing Katie that day.

As we were in the car running errands, my daughter and I talked about this:

Daughter: I want to go to Katie's HOUSE!

Me: I know, babe, but Katie's not there right now. I left her a message and we have to wait until she calls back.

Daughter: But I want to see KATIE! I want to see Katie, RIGHT NOW! (repeat 5 times)

Me: Listen, babe. I left a message for Katie. I can't make her call me back and I can't make her be at her house. She's a grown-up. She makes her own decisions.

Daughter: NO! She's NOT a grown-up!! She's SHORT!

I love Katie dearly, but . . . alas, this is true. She is short. I mean, if my almost three-foot tall three year old calls you short, I think you have to accept it as the ultimate truth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, that got me ROFLMAO...Love ya katie! :)

Katie said...

I love that little girl! She cracks me up!!