Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Early Voting

I voted last night. I guess it was to take advantage of the early voting that is now available. I waited in line (for almost half an hour), was told for the fourth time my last name is misspelled in the system (and, yes, I am absolutely sure there is an R in my last name. Pretty sure it came over on the boat from Denmark that way. Thanks for asking again, though), and then cast my ballot. Actually, to be precise, my daughter cast my ballot because she loves pushing the buttons. We all got our "I Voted" stickers and were home for dinner.

It was a fine experience but I do not think I will vote early again. Sure, I only waited for half an hour and on voting day during the last presidential election, I waited for an hour and a half, but early voting left me feeling empty inside.

Part of the thrill of voting (and yes, I still think it is thrilling to vote - just to have a small part in the running of our country is amazing) is going home after voting to watch the television coverage. The direct link between my vote and the election results is right there, right away for me to experience. Last night was just a let down. I went home and wanted to see where my vote was in the rankings. Would my candidates win? Would it be close? How many stupid things will the commentators say? Will the clusterfuck happen in Florida again? Or any other state?

Without being able to watch the end of the voting process - the election results - it feels as if I was just pretend voting. I know they assured me every vote will be counted, but I feel as if I was just a half-assed participant. I wanted the immediate gratification of either knowing that, finally, our country is going to make a turn-around from the train wreck of the last eight years or that, it will continue on this track of destruction. I wanted to yell at the TV. I wanted to call all my friends and scream, "What is WRONG with people? Who could possibly vote for that idiot?"

Most of all, I want this election to be over. It has been a long campaign season filled with ups and downs. I am tired of the attack ads. I am tired of daily flyers in the mail maligning one candidate or another. I am tired of hearing from strategists and commentators and talking heads and people who apparently do not have jobs other than to appear on news talk shows during a presidential campaign. I am tired of looking at John McCain's face and hearing Sarah Palin's whiny-ass voice.

It is probably crystal clear who I voted for in this election. But, I will say there were two races where it was a difficult decision. The Gordan/Krupa race is a tough one because, frankly, I think one is a shell of a person puppet for her party and the other is totally under-qualified. I literally did not make a decision about the state's attorney's race until I was standing at the polling booth reading their names. I know both of the men running personally. They both have their good points and they both have really, really negative aspects. And, no . . . I won't tell you which one I picked.

6 comments:

Laura Petelle said...

You guys can come to the McGee house on election night and we'll all yell at the television together. :)

steenky bee said...

So weird that you wrote this post! I'm watching the Daily Show and they just did a skit about how they can't wait for this election over with. And you coined it perfectly, voting early leaves me sort of hollow. I did it last time and it was just a huge let down for me. I shall stand in long lines and proudly get my "I voted sticker" and pretend to be put out about it when I mention my experience to my friends!

steenky bee said...

Sister! I saw your comment over at Cameron's! I don't know what happened to my blogroll! I noticed a few weeks ago that I had Heinous's site Irregular Periodic Ruminations on there wrong ( I listed him as Periodic Irregular Ruminations) and I had him listed as Heinous too. I was doing some house keeping on the site to add people and to fix a few random items like Heinous being double listed. All I can figure is that I accidentally deleted you! Then I took my blogroll and transfered it to my reader. Can you believe I've only been using a reader for a few weeks? No wonder I've missed you! I just added you to my reader and will add you back on the blogroll tomorrow! I feel horrible! I was just adding and moving and relisting people properly. I wonder who else I missed!

Jennifer said...

PH,
I decided not to early vote, I guess I just like the excitement of going to the polls on election day. (Yes, I am that pathetic!). I'm glad you pointed out the connection between voting and watching the results, because that affirms my decision. I love watching the election returns!
Oh, and I am debating the same two races. Funny, because my hub, the Repub, would never consider voting for a Dem, and it seems symbolic of closed mindedness of some on the Right...
Jennifer

steenky bee said...

Please, please stalk me. I will stalk you right back. Phew! I have you in my reader as well. How lame was I that I didn't use a reader?

Anonymous said...

"They both have their good points and they both have really, really negative aspects." That's the first time I've heard it put that way about this race.

As for the Gordon/Krupa race, it's the first time I've gone to the polls and not voted in a particular race. I am 100% at ease with myself that neither one is worth my vote. One or the other isn't even a lessor of two evils.