Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fortune Conundrum

So, let's say you eat dinner and after dinner you receive a fortune cookie. Let's say that happens on Tuesday. However, instead of eating the cookie and reading your fortune immediately, you throw the cookie into your briefcase for later.

Of course, then you forget about it.

Then let's say on Thursday at around 3:45 pm, you are starving because you forgot to eat lunch. Then you remember Tuesday night's fortune cookie is still in your briefcase. Granted, it is pretty much reduced to crumbs, but . . . hey, it's still a cookie, right?

So, then you eat the fortune cookie and read the enclosed fortune. The enclosed fortune says:

A pleasant surprise is in store for you tonight.

Which night is the cookie referring to - Tuesday or Thursday? Because, if it was Tuesday, I missed the pleasant surprise and, frankly, it must not have been that pleasant since I don't remember any surprises from Tuesday night aside from the dog pee puddle on the dining room rug.

BUT, if it applies to Thursday, I may just have something to look forward to tonight when I go home, which would make my day infinitely brighter . . . even if for just a few moments.

On the other hand, I should be careful what I wish for . . . the dog could leave an even bigger present for me tonight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!

Katie said...

I had a fortune cookie once tell me that my dining companion would be the love of my life. Luckily I was eating with Ron!

Ramble On said...

I don't like fortune cookies!

Ms. PH said...

Well, there were no surprises last night, in bed or otherwise, so I guess the dog pee puddle on Tuesday was my surprise.

No wait - MAYBE the pleasant surprise was that the dog DIDN'T leave a pee puddle on Thursday night! That's actually a pretty good thing, because there's nothing worse than coming home after a long day to a big dog pee puddle.

Anonymous said...

...Or maybe it's just a damn fortune cookie.