Friday, July 27, 2007

Are New Parents All that Gullible?

I didn't enter the realm of motherhood blindly. I put significant thought and energy into the decision to become a mother. What I didn't think that much about was that I was becoming a very popular type of consumer and would be subjected to all kinds of marketing ploys.

Entering into this world of baby merchandising and product-pushing has been overwhelming. I have found products and services pushed on me like I was the newest lottery winner in a small town. Therefore, I decided to list some of the products that I think are useful, essential, and worth the money. And, of course, I will list those products that are ridiculous, needless, or designed to pray on new parents' insecurities. (Please note, I have not included the obvious things on this list that are good inventions such as car seats, safer cribs, nursery monitors, etc. Those are items are a given, I am focusing on newer things.)

The Good Thing List
(1) Baby Bjorns - the freedom of having both hands free to get things done while still making baby happy? Priceless.
(2) Battery Operated Swings - I remember the time when you had to hand crank the swing every 15 minutes. It made this horrible grinding metal sound, which inevitably woke the baby up, defeating the purpose of the swing.
(3) Simple Pack n Plays (see below for exceptions) - baby containment at its best. It keeps small babies safe from the dog, it keeps mobile babies safe while you are taking a shower. They can play there, they can sleep there, it fits in my car, and it holds a lot of toys when the cleaning lady is coming.
(4) Boppy - so many uses, so little time. I have been known to rest on it myself while watching TV.
(5) Sippy Cups - I know these are hugely controversial. A lady from Easter Seals told me sippy cups were to blame for all speech delays in young children. Well, I don't know about that, but they are a big convienence item for me. For me, they encourage independance, earlier weaning from the bottle, less mess in the house, and, therefore, a happier mama.
(6) Strollers with cupholders for parents. I love, love, love this invention.

The Useless Thing List
(1) Wipe Warmers - Give me a break! I know they can get a little cold, but take 5 seconds, hold one in your hand, and there you go. Warm wipes.
(2) "Toddler" foods - These are just grown-up foods in smaller portions but twice the price. If you can't dice or cut up food for your child, you have a serious problem.
(3) "Germ Protectors" - This is a whole category on Target's baby website, consisting of multiple items designed to protect your child at the grocery store, restaurants, or any public place. Why not just keep your baby in a bubble until he is 15? In the end, they are just not necessary and just take up extra room in your life. I am not saying one should dip their baby in a vat of germs, but use common sense with germ protection. Wash your hands and the baby's hands often. There are whole generations of us that grew up healthy without the constant extra protection from germs.
(4) Extra Fancy Pack N Plays - The pack n plays with changing tables, storage bins, activity centers, etc. are just a waste of money. You will only use them for a few months and they are not worth the extra money or storage space needed.
(5) Diaper Genie - learn how to change a diaper and wrap it to contain smell and spills. If you need a lesson, email me. Put them in a regular garbage can. When they get stinky, walk them outside. Much easier (and cheaper) than the genie.
(6) Battery Powered Formula Mixers - Seriously. If you are too lazy to shake or stir your baby's formula, think twice about parenthood.
(7) Special Swaddling Blankets - Swaddling is great, but you don't need a special blanket. Any blanket will work. Or towel, sheet, adult shirt, etc.
(8) Baby Bathtubs - Waste of money and space. Your baby will only tolerate this thing for a few months. Why not just fill the regular bathtub with about an inch of water, put down a washcloth, put the baby on it, and wash. Or, use a turkey roaster, as my mother suggested.
(9) Sleep positioners. Again, another item that you will only use for a few months, if that long. For most babies, simply placing the baby on his back to sleep is sufficiently safe without the added protection (and costs).

I am sure there are people who will disagree with me (there always are), but I get so frustrated hearing new parents talk about the things they felt they "had" to have when they had their first child. Months, and even weeks, later they realized it was a waste of money. Feel free to add your own items to the list!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I SO agree with the Boppy pillow...I literally used that thing threadbare and for EVERYTHING. I also agree with baby wipe warmers...what a total waste of money and space. I also had this really cool thing I found at Wal Mart that they don't sell anymore that I adored. It was a very convenient bottle that held powered formula in a capsule on the top, and the bottom you filled with water, then when baby gets hungry, you just twist the top and the powder falls into the water...VOILE- a fresh bottle! No worry about waste or spoilage in the good old summertime.
I will say this though...the baby tub and the baby positioners I did use a lot. I had a small efficiency apt when my son was born...with no tub....just a shower, and my single kitchen sink was tiny, so I put the baby tub on the kitchen floor, and bathed him there. The baby positioner was helpful as well...My son would NEVER sleep in his crib. (and while I know that co-sleeping is extremely controversial, we did co-sleep a lot. I had a brother pass away from "sids" as a baby...so I was a paranoid mommy. My son was a roller...even as an infant, and the positioners gave me peace of mind when I desperately needed sleep, myself.
And yeah...the diaper genie...ewww....who wants to look and smell a giant roll of diaper sausages coming out of that thing???...yuck...I'll take a plastic Kroger bag and the outside garbage anytime!

Great post-
Jaded

Floyd said...

I respectfully, always respectfully, disagree regarding the Diaper Genie. We are a lazy lot, and not having to empty a smelly trash every day saves me from having to get up out of my chair that one extra time to walk it out to the dumpsters.

In all seriousness, we love that Diaper Genie. The only stink we ever get is when I have to tie the knot at the top. And when I do have to take it out to the dumpster, it really gives me a workout with the weight of the peepoo sausage. And it makes a nice thud that can sometimes disorient the raccoons inside the dumpster. Always reassuring.

Anonymous said...

When my kids were babies, the exersaucer...exerciser...the walker looking thingy with the weeble-wobble bottom. Was a God send. I barely used the high chair before they were eight or nine months.
And FloydBert...you kill me with the diaper Genie. But those bottles you found are pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

Yes...those bottles were awesome. I wish they still made them for new moms out there who werent able to breast feed...they were great. Although, I am SO glad that I never have to wash another bottle out again! I definitely do not miss those days! :o)
-Jaded

Ms. PH said...

Floyd - I all have to say is YUCK! I would much rather have dirty diapers fermenting in the outside garbage that in my house. But, to each his own.

I also love the exersaucer - one of the best investments. He has been using it for months now and doesn't seem to get bored.

Anonymous said...

The Kitty Poopie Genie. That's what I want.

We used the Diaper Genie for several years until we had an ant infestation. Nothing like Diaper Sausages covered with ants... and that was the end of that.

Floyd said...

I worried about whether or not the DG would draw any kind of bugs, but not yet.

But like I said, the thing never smells on its own, only when I change out the bag. It's kind of a long haul to take a dirty diaper out every time one comes to fruition. This has been the best solution, by far.

And yep, the exersaucer. Saved my everloving soul. Love it! I want one for myself, actually. Put a PLaystation controller and a remote on it, and I would be good to go.

Erin and Kevin said...

i agree with most, i'm a new mom, so i thought i had to have everything, and half of it i dont use. although, i thought the wipe warmer was useless until someone bought it for me...now changing my baby's diaper is enjoyable, for her and me! i've never been peed on, and she smiles instead of screams (cold ones startle her now!) so i gues i've spoiled her. but i was given the diaper champ, not the genie, and i have to say it's priceless. there's no smell, no pricey refill bags (you use garbage bags) and i only have to take the trash out once a week!