Monday, July 16, 2007

Secret Identities

In my short time as a blogger, I have discovered some odd things about the blogger world. If you read blogs, particularly local blogs, you find that you know little odd tidbits about lives of people who you don't really know. In some ways, reading blogs is more intimate than simply knowing someone in passing because people share more online, in a semi-private environment, than they would in public. In addition, I feel like I know some of these people, even though I don't know their real names or what they look like. Sometimes that strikes me as odd.

For example, on Saturday morning I was tasting wine downtown at the farmer's market. As I was sipping, a man rode up to the tent on his bike. The wine guy introduced him by saying, "This is Kevin, he's a chef." As I started to say hello, I almost said, "Oh, yeah, we've met." However, we haven't actually met - I read his blog - but I kind of feel like we have. Then I almost said, "Oh, yeah, I read your blog." But then I thought, maybe this isn't Chef Kevin. I mean, it is completely possible that there is more than one bike-riding chef in Peoria named Kevin, right?

And then there is the problem of introducing myself. It sounds weird introducing yourself as Ms. Pointlessly Hypertechnical. But, using my real name seemed a little strange as well, particularly if it wasn't Chef Kevin. So, in the end, I didn't say much at all.

I was trying to explain my dilemma to a non-blogging friend over the weekend. She said, "What's the big deal with keeping your secret identity? It's not like you are Catwoman. It's not like your ability to fight crime will be destroyed by introducing yourself in public!" She has a point - but maybe part of me wants to be Catwoman. It was, after all, one of my goals in life when I was about 8 years old. I wore my Catwoman Halloween costume all the time for almost a year.

Perhaps that is part of what blogging is about - secret identities. I bet all of us wanted to be a superhero of some sort when we were kids. This is just the adult way of having a secret identity.

14 comments:

Chef Kevin said...

Yep, it was me, the bike riding Chef Kevin who has a blogsite. The wine guy was Dan Willett. Dan, his wife Cris and I put together food and wine dinners at their winery in Manito. We are about to announce another, so watch my site if interested.

Every so often there are blogger bashes where we all (or as many who want to come) get together and discuss a cornucopia of subjects. Billy @ Peoria Pundits usually announces the soiree. So when the next one occurs we'll be looking for the Catwoman suit :)

Ms. PH said...

Well, next time I will know it is you. Sorry - no Catwoman suit. I'm taller than I was when I was 8. But I may attend in my regular clothing!

Anonymous said...

In some ways it's like having a pen pal.
You learn just what the person wants you to know and are lacking any sensory experience of the person.

Anonymous said...

I like to call myself pseudo-anonymous, as in I don't want my real name to be googled, but I don't keep it a huge secret to the other bloggers either.

You're right though, I'd venture a guess that anyone who has been reading my blog for any length of time knows more about me than many people who I consider friends.

Speaking of Blogger Bashes, there should be one coming up on the 31st. It's the 5th tuesday of the month.

Chef Kevin said...

P.I.

I wonder if Bill is aware of this. He is usually pretty out front in announcing Blogger Bashes.

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll have to remind him.

Billy Dennis said...

I'm aware. I'm checking my calander. Typically, we have one whenever there's a 5th Tuesday. And lo and behold, we have a 5th Tuesda on the 31st! Any suggestions for a location, so I can make an announcement asap.

Billy Dennis said...

Duh. Just read PI's comment.

Anonymous said...

Gormans. 'course I could be geographically biased.

Billy Dennis said...

Gorman's isn't a bad idea ... anywho, I have a post about at PP.

Anonymous said...

I will continue campaigning for a blogger bash at Buffalo Wild Wings in East Peoria. Bill wants nothing to do with it.

Billy Dennis said...

Buffalo Wild Wings
Applebes
The Outback
TGIF
Chilli's

yadda yadda

ALL of them are chain restaurants that try fake being small little neighborhood joints that have mediocre food, all cooked to corporate specs and served by young, perky people who dress alike. They make my skin crawl.

Anyway, it's on for 7 p.m. (or earlier) on July 31, at Donnellys at the corner of Glen and War Memorial.

http://tinyurl.com/38lwpy

Anonymous said...

Buffalo Wild Wings has access to every. sporting. event. on. television. They don't try to be cutesy neighborhood joints, they try to be a sports bar with cheap beer.

Donnelly's is swell, too. I plan on attending.

Anonymous said...

I'll see you there, Cory.