Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Dollar Store Confessional

"Hi, my name is Ms. PH. I love the Dollar Store."

Many of my friends, colleagues, and (most certainly) my parents, would be horrified to hear me utter those words. I was not raised as a Dollar Store-Shopping person. But I secretly love it. I was shopping there the other day and realized that my love does have some definite limits. Here are two lists - the first of the things I would (and do) purchase at the Dollar Store and the second of the things that scare me at the Dollar Store.

Good Things:
- Art supplies for kids - crayons, paper, coloring books, paint, stickers, PlayDough, beads, markers, sidewalk chalk. Kids go through this stuff so fast and it's not like they are making masterpieces, why not get it cheap?
- Party supplies - same stuff as the better stores, large selection, better prices.
- Plastic Toys, but only with no metal parts (see below) - they are like Happy Meal toys without the added calories and nutritional nastiness.
- Storage Bins and Baskets - you know we all need tons of them.
- Helium Balloons - again, huge selection, much lower prices.
- Hair Accessories for little girls - they lose 90% of the stuff I buy, why not make it affordable to replace?

Questionable Things:
- Any toy or kid thing with metal - check out the recalled toy list. There are pages and pages of Dollar Store toys and kids' jewelry recalled because of high lead content. Yikes!
- Food or Drink of any sort - you are just asking for a night in the bathroom
- Cleaning Products - I already do enough laundry and dishes, I don't need to do them twice because the product doesn't clean.
- Diapers - I learned that one the hard way.
- Make-up - I wonder how many animals that stuff was tested on?
- Pregnancy tests - I am not kidding, they sell these at the Dollar Store. I think pregnancy tests are just one of those things you need to shell out the money for, seriously.

Interestingly, the Dollar Store does not sell condoms (which would have made my Questionable list). Political statement anyone?? Only the rich should buy condoms, which causes the poor to need cheap pregnancy tests? Maybe I need to rethink my support of the Dollar Store . . . . On the other hand, I really don't think the Dollar Store should sell pregnancy tests OR condoms.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Considering the Dollar Store is mostly comprised of mis-runs, overstocks, defectives and out of season merchandise, I don't think I would trust a condom bought from there.

They don't sell beer either. Not even skunky beer. Or stale cigarettes, for that matter.

Anonymous said...

Ouch!

Are you implying I know this from experience?

Anonymous said...

Some of the best cleaning products are from Dollar Tree but it takes some trial and error to find out which ones are the good ones and some are not worth even the $1.