Sunday, July 29, 2007

Lazy Days

As of right now, I have not been outside of my house since Friday evening, which is almost 48 hours. I think this must be a record for me - I rarely allow myself this kind of down time. However, it was sincerely needed as I feel I have been running myself ragged for months.

The weekend has been a challenge for me because I am usually one of those people who has a whole list of things to go do, mostly errands and taking care of various house, self, or baby things. I have a hard time sitting still and not thinking - I could be doing this or that or the other thing. I never just sit and watch TV - I fold laundry or read or cook or organize or something to keep my hands busy. I did very little of that this weekend. I mostly relaxed in bed and read a couple of good books. Or I relaxed on the couch and drank some good wine.

I don't think our society allows for enough down time. It is always go, go, go. I am a victim of that mentality - I even have had nightmares about not getting things done. I hope I don't have one tonight, because there is a list in the back of my head. The grass needs mowing, the laundry needs to be finished, I need to iron clothes, I should clean out the fridge, I should go grocery shopping, I could even stand to get some research done for work.

But if I had done all of those things this weekend, I would have missed making some incredible memories. My son and I spent a lot of time playing on the floor. I spent hours just watching him play with toys, figure out how to manipulate blocks and balls. He discovered the joy of playing with kitchen stuff this weekend - banging wooden spoons on the floor, walls, the dog and his own head. He is so close to crawling and I watched him try and try and try to get his hands and legs to work together. He almost did it.

Now, of course, as Monday morning approaches, my to-do list is starting to creep back into my brain. I am going to try very hard to ignore it - maybe I can get another 12 hours of relaxation in before I have to go to work tomorrow morning.

No comments: