Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Peoria - Home of the Good Chain Restaurants?

I was recently shopping at the Coach store on Michigan Avenue. I went in specifically to purchase a new plain black leather wallet. As a side note, I have complained bitterly about the fact that Coach has fallen victim to the masses and started producing a cloth "signature" line. I think it is gross. As far as I am concerned, Coach is leather, not fun colors and designs and key-chain bobbles. Maybe I will write a separate post on that. But anyway . . . .

I walked into the Coach store and was immediately "assisted" by three or four chipper sales girls, all in semi-matching outfits. Apparently, early Tuesday afternoons are slow at Coach. They all wanted to help me, particularly after they saw the Coach briefcase I was carrying. Of course, what they wanted to help me with was to replace my 15-year-old briefcase with a snazzy new version. Someday, I said, but this has strong sentimental value and I can't let it go just yet.

After I made my wallet selection, which was carefully wrapped in layers of tissue, then placed in a box, then placed in a sturdy bag, my sales girl asked for my address and telephone number. When I got to the Peoria part, she exclaimed, "Ohmygosh!! You are from PEORIA!" I have never received this reaction from a Chicagoan. They usually say, "Peoria? Is that, like, in Illinois?"

My sales girl called out to another girl and said, "Lindsay, she's from PEORIA!" Lindsay came over and said, "REALLY? I LOVE Peoria. Home of the Chain Restaurants!"

Now, it is not often that I am at a loss for words, but I really didn't have a response to that. Lindsay went on to explain that she used to be from Peoria and loved the fact that Peoria always had all of the good chain restaurants. I found my voice and said, "Um, like . . . ?" She rattled off a few, such as Olive Garden, Old Chicago, Joe's Crab Shack, and Panera.

Oh, dear, I thought, I am going to say something really rude to this poor innocent sales girl. All I could get out was, "Yeah, I know, but we don't have a Cheesecake Factory! Bummer!" Unfortunately, I think my sarcasm was lost on Lindsay.

7 comments:

Peoria Peepers said...

Nice. I'm so proud.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Applebee's, Texas Roadhouse, Chili's, and Buffalo Wild Wings, and they're all within a quarter mile of each other!

Chef Kevin said...

Bloomington is the REAL home of chain restaurants. What chain ISN'T there?

I'm probably one of the very few, but unless dragged kicking and screaming, I don't patronize the chains. GO LITTLE GUYS!!!

Knight in Dragonland said...

Bloomington has a Qdoba. I miss Qdoba.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to have a Macaroni Grill, but I know once it came I'd ramble on about how it's not nearly as good as the local Italian restaurants in town.

Anonymous said...

this is a joke, right? is anyone actually so publicly superficial, ostentatious,....oh, a lawyer? never mind.

Anonymous said...

I wish we had a Cheesecake Factory. We don't, do we???