Monday, September 24, 2007

My Mother's Daughter

My mother once told me that the time she spent as a stay at home mother after my younger brother was born was "the worst six months of her life." I was four and a half and my brother was a sickly newborn. She lost her job because she was pregnant and didn't have immediate prospects for another one. In addition, my brother was an extremely difficult baby, making finding child care extra difficult. We were actually "fired" by two babysitters because they couldn't handle my brother.

I don't remember those six months at all, but my mother does. She went a little crazy - she tried to perfect her from-scratch biscuit recipe and tried to make as many ladyfingers and Charlotte Russes as possible. Needless to say, the baby fat didn't come off very quickly. She said she dealt with the residual frustration of losing her adulthood by attacking my dad when he came home from work with every minuscule problem of the day. Sometimes she even invented problems. She soon got another job, my brother grew out of the colic phase and life returned to normal. She was never a stay at home mother again.

When she told me this story, she emphasized that she didn't think it made her a bad mother - it just made her a different kind of mother. Some mothers are happy being stay at home mothers, some aren't. She believed she was a better mother because she worked and had her own identity. She also believed she was setting a good example for her children, which she was.

I've never given much thought to being a stay at home mother. Because I am the only income in the family, I really don't have the choice of staying at home. However, in the last week, I came to realize that I am my mother's daughter - I am not cut out to be a stay at home mom.

My son has been very sick for the last week or so, necessitating me taking nearly a week of sick time from work. Something funny happened to my brain in the last week - I went a little crazy. It could have been the sleepless nights rocking a feverish baby. It could have been forgetting to shower or brush my teeth until 2 pm every day. It could have been all of the bad daytime television. However, I think it was more likely the lack of adult conversation and contact. I felt lost - I felt as if the "me-ness" had been sucked away and all that was left was this mommy thing. This mommy thing that was good for soothing rocking, rubbing, consoling, wiping, and feeding. This mommy thing that served as a teething ring, dishcloth, washcloth, diaper, floor mop, and pillow. This mommy thing that was a cook, nurse, maid, and playmate but definitely not an adult woman.

Do I regret spending a week at home with my child? No. He needed me and our bond is stronger than ever. He said "Mama" for the first time this week. I would never give that up. However, he was very happy to return to day care this morning and I am very happy to be back at work.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I was a stay at home mom when my kids were little (birth-4) and must say, I don't know if I was any good at it. When I went back to work, part-time evemings, I must say, it felt like an escape. It was relaxing compared to all the physical and emotional strain of constant caretaking. I think it made me a better mother, having an outlet in which I interacted with other adults and had other responsibilities.
(Caveat to the all the haters out there: Not that everyone that is a parent must work out of the home to feel fulfilled, it just helped me)

Anonymous said...

I babysat in my home for the first 18 months my daughter was here. Let me just say parenting is by far the most difficult and rewarding experience of my life. But, good gracious! I am surprised we all survived it!!

I have the utmost respect and awe for "stay-at-home" moms. I truly think it is the hardest job in the world.

Anonymous said...

What a great topic! I went back to college when my daughter turned 11 mo. I was going insane! Now that she is grown, has her own baby, and is attending college, I understand how it makes her feel just to get away for a few hours a day. Some people are great stay-at-home moms and others are better when they work outside the home. I tried to be a little of both, as my daughter is trying. I cannot say that any way is an easy way. It is just the way that works best for 'you' that matters.

Mama T said...

Awww....so sweet PH...nice post, thanks for sharing that moment. It makes us moms of kids who are a little older remember how sweet it was when they were that age.

We are all lucky to have such cool kids!

:o)