Friday, November 21, 2008

In the End . . . .

Recently, I was reading an article from the November 10, 2008, New Yorker entitled "Suffering Souls - The Search for the Roots of Psychopathy." It was a fascinating article and combines several areas of study that I have always been interested in: psychopathology and criminal behavior. But this post isn’t really about the article. You can read it for yourself if you are really interested.

Not surprisingly, the article focused on psychopaths in the prison inmate population, highlighting the work of a psychologist in the Western New Mexico Correctional Facility. What struck me about the article was a quote seen on a poster in the common room at the prison:

"I am here because there is no refuge, finally, from myself."

I have been thinking about that quote since I read it. It struck a chord in me and I can’t seem to get it out of my head. While I see the application to prison inmates, I think it applies to the broader human experience. Maybe it’s because the economy is so bad or maybe because it’s the holiday season, but lately I have been hearing a lot of people do the "woe-is-me" talk. I have sympathy for what others are experiencing, even though I think my life could stand up to anyone else’s in the crazy-shit-happening department. But there are limits to my sympathy.

Everyone has tough times. Everyone should talk to their friends about their tough times. My patience wears thin when all I hear from people is how bad their life is when they are doing absolutely nothing to change it. All of us suffer from that feeling of utter hopelessness. I have been hanging on the bottom rung several times. At those times, one wants to turn to every other possible solution to their problems - drinking, drugs, inappropriate sex with inappropriate people, excessive spending, gambling, violence . . . whatever it is.

It took me a long time to realize none of those things were helping in the long term (not that I tried all of them). I spent a good portion of my 20s and early 30s trying to fix my problems by filling them in with outside things. My solutions, whether bad or good, never helped for long. Partying was fun (and still is), but certainly didn’t do anything to make me feel whole. The wrong men were nice distractions, but usually took away more of me than was missing when I met them. Work and school were never solid enough distractions for me to forget the bad things.

All of my attempts to fix the situation were nullities. Saying, "My life will be perfect when ________" meant my life was never perfect because there was always another __________ after the first one. There was always something more that I felt I needed to make myself feel better or be better or be whole. But, in the end, there is only myself.

Self-imposed exile was my remedy for the really bad times. After my first year of law school, I went back to my crappy retail job and tried to pretend the past nine months had never happened. One day, I gave up. I unplugged my phone, took the TV into my bedroom, and spent the next two weeks in bed. I only emerged to work and then went home and back to bed. Friends thought I had lost it. Maybe I had.

But, in the end, you can’t hide from yourself in a cell, whether it is the cell you have created in your bedroom or a prison cell. You have to deal with the reality of yourself within the confines of the reality of life. No one else can do it for you. I may not be able to control everything in my life . . . but I can control my responses to everything in my life.

I am here (mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually) because, in the end, there is no hiding from myself. And, finally . . . I like that.

8 comments:

Ramble On said...

All I can say is, "WOW". Great post. I may have to make a copy of that poster for home and work. Indeed, there is no escaping the person in the mirror. Great post.

Anonymous said...

So very true! Great post! Now, why don't we "get" this lesson earlier in life than our 40s and 50s? Well, at least I didn't... I thought I did! Boy, was I wrong. And for those old souls that do get it earlier in life, lucky you!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful. Bravo.

Sarah's Blogtastic Adventures said...

Love it! I think this what we should teach our kids! Responsibilty instead of being so easily able to play the victim. Great post. : )

snicketmom said...

Very good post! I often have to remind myself to take responsibility for my actions, and more difficultly, responsibility for my feelings. In the end, I am happier that way, when I realize no one MAKES me feel mad, sad, etc. I feel that way because of unmet needs in me, and I can take action to get them met. I don't know if that is what you are saying exactly, but that is what it reminded me of in my life.

Mama T said...

I have done this...and you probably know by reading me that I have. I applaud this entry though...I guess you just get to a point where no matter what, you have to recognize and appreciate the good things in your life, and count your blessings, (as cliche as that sounds...also very true)

Everyone does what they can to survive in their own ways. I locked myself up for 3 months (other than to work) But rolling out of bed, hair bedraggled and drool in the corner of my mouth was a chore everyday. Until I found a way to cope...there I was. I hope to never revisit, but...you never know.

Thanks for this post, PH.

Truly...a great read, and for some...a great need.

Have a happy Turkey day,,,from one turkey to another.

:o)

Emerge Peoria said...

Great post!

Sometimes a self imposed exile is exactly what is needed. You can come out stronger. Sounds like you did.

Vodka Mom said...

that was incredible. I am SO glad I snuck over from Cameron's.